× Members

Called for DLA to PIP Assessment at private physio

More
7 years 8 months ago #166210 by Maggie
My husband just got a text from DWP: (Time 12.53 today)

==========

We've now got all the info we need to decide your PIP claim. We will send you a decision letter once we've made our decision. Please call us if any details you gave us have changed. Thank you.

===========

I'm remembering more stuff - toileting for one. Rolls eyes!

I'll try remember and write more tomorrow, too totally knackered tonight!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon, pauldcox3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #166238 by Maggie
Forgot one of the things the HP asked me to do was could I put my hands behind my back.

Last night husband got a text from DWP to say that they had all the information they need for my PIP application. So this morning he phoned the DWP and made a request for a copy of the medical report. The chap he spoke to said it takes around 2 weeks to send it out, but that it went 2nd class post, so to allow 3 weeks for it to arrive.

We hope to back this up with a letter, but are uncertain of where to send it. Is it the place in Wolverhampton?

I've been browsing the File on Ways to Challenge a PIP Medical Report. Not finished reading it yet, but there seem to be a number of areas that the HP didn't cover. It will be interesting to see the report when it arrives! :whistle:

I'm so grateful that this site exists! Thank you all for the amazing work you do! :)

Maggie
The following user(s) said Thank You: jlm52

More
7 years 7 months ago #166247 by Gordon
Maggie

It will be the DWP office dealing with the claim, this may well be a Wolverhampton address.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maggie

More
7 years 7 months ago #166251 by Maggie
Thanks very much Gordon! Original claim form went to Wolverhampton, so I guess that's where we'll send it. Used to be Blackpool for me when it was DLA.

More
7 years 7 months ago #167002 by Maggie
My husband made further notes on my PIP assessment that I thought I'd add, in hopes it will help others to avoid mistakes we made! And also to help people maybe think about watching for stuff that's irrelevant.

===============>>>

20/08/16

Physical examinations - testing grip and mobility.

Not supposed to diagnose

Can't be a snapshot - irrelevant
Raising of knee - can do *once*
Foot movements - can do *once*
Instant fatigability

Why did we not argue more at the time?
Brain dead at 9am - incapable
Only one chance to re-arrange

Interview was very detailed at first - eg medications etc - but seemed to rush over too much as allotted time ran out.

She asked about "difficulty eating" - for example strength to chew - didn't seem to understand difficulty wanting to eat, difficulty finding anything which is not instantly disgusting.

Why did she waste our time telling us that current advice for back pain is not to sleep on a firm mattress/surface?

Given that the purpose of this interview was for "Pam" to ask Maggie questions, we are a bit surprised to come away with info that:

She has planted bee-friendly plants in her garden.
She has put in bee-hotels.
Her grandchildren are aged 8, 5, 2.
8 year old boy chase the 5 year old girl with worms etc but 2 year old doesn't mind.

This came up when Maggie said (as an example of her difficulties) she was upset that twin grandchildren and other grandchildren (now age 3 and about 10 months) are too noisy and/or obstreperous for her to be around.

Last question - what was the worst thing?
Reply - Not being able to handle or be with grandchildren.

Too much of the interview was about eg medications (which was in the form) which left her little time to explore further any of the other answers, which might have been more useful.

======>>>

My latest news is we had message from next door neighbour last night that I'd got a Brown Envelope. She enclosed photo. Return address is in Belfast. I suspect it *may* be my medical report. I think it's far too soon to be my "result". She's posted it to us here at our holiday address, I'm really hoping whatever it is it arrives tomorrow! If not will have to wait till Tuesday at earliest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta, jlm52

More
7 years 7 months ago #167157 by Maggie
The medical report arrived with me on Saturday morning. It's even worse than I expected! :( Turns out the HCP was an Occupational Therapist.

The first section of the report is History of conditions. After naming CFS, date diagnosed (1992), and that I'd seen consultant in past, now managed by GP., she went on to make comments on Symptoms. This is where it starts to go badly pear shaped! :angry:

"She reports she has stamina;" In fact what I said very clearly to her was "I have no stamina"! :blink:

I'm wondering if I should make a complaint to ATOS at this stage? So far as I know Decision hasn't been made yet (unless it's waiting for me at home, might get neighbour to take a look this evening), but it seems unlikely I'll get a correct decision when she's turned what I said utterly upside down. Plus since it's the very first thing the DM will read I feel that will colour how they read the rest of the report.

The rest of it isn't much better, if DM goes by it I'll lose my Motability car, and also not get anything for Daily Living Activities - I believe I should get at least the lowest rate for that.

She comments that MSO (Musculoskeletal Overview) unremarkable and I had no muscle wastage in upper or lower limbs.

When it comes to the Moving Around descriptor she ticked the box marked d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres.

Justification for descriptor choice

The claimant did not report significant functional problems with this activity in their questionaire or at consultation, and there was no evidence to suggest otherwise.

If not ticked, reason given below:
MSO noted she had no functional restrictions in her lower limbs. Her condition nature would suggest her muscle fatigue and energy levels would fluctuate during the day and she reports she is able to mobilse at home using a walking stick. She has no muscle wastage in her limbs indicating she stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres reliably and repeatedly

====>>>

"The claimant did not report significant functional problems with this activity in their questionaire or at consulation" This is a blatant lie, as in the moving around information on my claim form I wrote:

I cannot stand for longer than 2 minutes without pain and weakness (my electric toothbrush runs for 2 minutes and to use it I have to sit on the edge of the bath), or walk further than 10 metres (on a "good" day).
Because of my ME/CFS when I try to walk my legs feel like I am wearing concrete boots.
On "good" days I can walk up to 10 metres before I have to sit down and rest, on most days only a few steps.
I am always at risk of falling due to Left Vestibular Dysfuntion. I use a walking stick for balance. Outdoors, I use the stick and lean on my carer.
On trips out I always take the wehhlchair, and use it if I have to walk more than a few steps. I always need it for doctors or hospital appointments, eyetests, or to reach the toilets in motorway services.

I also attended the assessment in a wheelchair, I did not stand or walk, so how she extrapolate to me walking up to 50 metres is just ridiculous! Plus I did tell her that I could just about walk the 5 metres to the end of my front garden and back (so 10 metres in all) and then had to rest in chair in porch.

I'm typed out for now, so will have to come back for the Activities of Daily Living stuff later!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.