× Members

PIP - Assessments , GP Reports and DVLA

More
4 years 9 months ago #234106 by DSB
Hi All

I wonder if you could assist by answering the questions below?

I am on DLA and was contacted to move over to PIP.
I completed the forms and submitted letters from my hospital consultants along with my repeat prescription lists.

I had a F2F assessment planned for today but ended up canceling the appointment as I was overcome by anxiety and fear after reading all the scary stories and trick questions online.

Firstly, I have a physical condition - Type 1 diabetes, I suffer from recurring night time hypos and peripheral neuropathy. The neuropathy is at it worst in the evenings and at night. I take diloxetine for this which makes me a bit drowsy at first but wears off after a short while but it helps with the neuropathy.
I worry that the assessor may make assumptions that I should not be driving and contact the DVLA - especially if I need to base my pip assessment on my worst day.
I do work as my DLA is only £330pm. I have a mortgage, a car payment and rely heavily on my job to survive. I also do not live near a rail station and there are no direct trains to my office. The walk from my office is too much for me to walk and taking the trains require far too much walking.
I do not have any family and live alone. I have a dog for companionship. A dog walker picks him up at 10am everyday and brings him back at 4. The arrangement also serves me well as its the only way I have another person visiting my property. It gives me peace of mind if anything had to happen to me.

In the mornings and during the day, my neuropathy is more bearable and the pain is manageable. I therefore am able to visit shops and do what I need although I plan this so that I do not need to walk far.

Today I had such severe anxiety after reading posts online about the F2F assessments.

I could not get myself to go for my assessment. I think I may have had a panic attack because it freaked me out too much.

I also read that the F2F assessment is only about how your illness affects your daily living and they do not even write to your GP or Consultant. Is this true?
PIP is awarded purely on the assessment and information provided?

I have a rescheduled appointment.
Is this worth my while or am I risking what independence I already have?

I read that I have to look scruffy, be smelly, dehydrated, not dressed nicely. Do I really have to go to that level?
I just feel that the assessment is so discriminatory. You cannot go on holiday because that means your physically able.
You cant have a pet because caring for it makes you physically able.
Driving goes against you....
I would have to attend my assessment alone. That goes against you.
Carrying a bag for my notes and a bottle of lucozade would count against me.
Walking into the building and to the assessment room would be more than 20m and count against me even though I would experience discomfort.

Have I got the total wrong end of the stick?
Am I being paranoid about having my drivers revoked?

I dont want to feel like I may be watched on social media because I had to base an assessment on my worst day .

Any assistance would be helpful even if it means I should cancel my PIP application to keep what little independence I currently have.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #234109 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP - Assessments , GP Reports and DVLA
Hi DSB

Whether you want to continue with your PIP application is entirely up to you, but you do understand that the migration over to PIP is compulsory and therefore if you cancel the PIP your DLA will also stop.

There are lots of horror stories about the assessment process and some people have undoubtedly been treated badly. What you rarely get to hear is the people who had good experiences.

It just isn't true that you have to turn up looking unkempt with dirty clothes or hair. You should appear at an assessment of how you normally appear. If you are normally well dressed that is how you will be.

If you normally drive - be open about it. It is true that if you are trying to get points awarded for mobility they will question the driving, but what you need to do is explain when asked. The assessor won't be contacting the DVLA

It is not true to say they never contact a GP or consultant, but generally, they only contact someone if they require further information. This rarely happens.

Lots of people move their appointments because of holidays. At the assessment, the subject of holidays is not likely to come up.

Yes if you have a dog, they are likely to ask you about it, because they will want to know how you care for it. The explanation you have given below is a good one.

Yes if you are going to an assessment centre - they will make judgements about how you arrived there, but you will also have a chance to explain.

I cannot take your fears away. All I can say is be yourself. Is there an element of luck in the entire process - YES. Some of the assessors are great and some less so. I was one of the lucky ones. If you do decide to go - try not to see them as the enemy.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 9 months ago #234110 by DSB
Replied by DSB on topic PIP - Assessments , GP Reports and DVLA
Thank you Bis for you detailed response.
You have put my mind at ease now and I think I will continue with the process and attend my rescheduled appointment.
I think I may stop reading all the scary stories on the internet too as they set project fear into me.

More
4 years 9 months ago #234155 by Esme999
Replied by Esme999 on topic PIP - Assessments , GP Reports and DVLA
DSB your not alone in how you feel I'm sure without a doubt, everyone going through the process has bouts of anxiety, I know I have experienced my fair share. I too have read many horror stories online but have resigned myself to the fact that on the day when I have my face to face, I will present to the assessor as honestly as I can, elaborate where necessary and hope that they are non-judgemental and fair in their assessment. If the outcome isn't what I deem to be accurate and fair I will proceed to the next step in the process. Take comfort in the fact that there are people you can talk to on here that have or are presently going through the same transition from indefinite DLA awards to PIP myself being one of them.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.