× Members

on ESA, previously self employed

More
4 years 7 months ago #236124 by Haseena
on ESA, previously self employed was created by Haseena
Hi there,

I was self employed until April 2018.Since then I have been signed off sick and am now in the support group for ESA.

I've received a letter with a 5 page questionnaire from Jobcentreplus re:ESA. They ask if I have a job with a yes or no tick box.They then say if I am off work because I am sick or pregnant, still tick yes. I am confused.

Being self employed, of course I can return to self employment as soon as I am fit enough to do so.

If I tick no, they ask me what my last job was and then to sign the form.

If I tick yes, the questions span the next two and a half pages. They ask questions including; 1. how much I get paid 2. who my employer is 3. If I claimed SSP 4. if I received ssp etc...

I am not sure what to say, as my job was self employment and I can return as soon as I am well enough to do so.

I would appreciate and advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #236130 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic on ESA, previously self employed
Hi Has

I would ring the DWP to clarify matters with them.

This is my take on it - though it is not my area of expertise.

You are going to have to make a choice here. You say you 'were' self-employed. I don't know what you did (and it doesn't matter) - only were you under a contract to someone else - do you run your own business or have you stopped whatever you were doing in April 2018 and if you were going to return to work - would you try to do something new - albeit self -employed?

If there is nothing in place for you to go to work tomorrow - then you don't currently have a job. You would only have one if you were under contract to someone, or you were running a business

If you decide to tick 'no' then you still put down yourself as your last employer.

If you tick yes - then you will put down current details of your self-employment (even though you are sick).

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Haseena

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.