× Members

PIP Assessment feedback/experience/result

More
4 years 4 months ago #240705 by DAitken0
PIP Assessment feedback/experience was created by DAitken0
Hi, just completed my (DLA to) PIP assessment and wanted to share my experience:

This was my second appointment, as IAS cancelled/rescheduled 4 weeks ago, at only 3 hours notice, but before we left home, so no harm done.

We (my wife was with me - can’t thank her enough), had an appointment today for 1pm.
Parked right outside their Brighton centre, with my Blue Badge.
Reception (with disabled toilet) a short walk (up 2 steps/ concrete ramp) from the roadside and the assessment room was on the same (ground) level, and close by.
We were eventually taken 1 hour 45 minutes late, just as we were about to give up and leave.

I have to say the reception staff did keep us updated (but mainly only when prompted), and were very understanding and receptive to our eventual “we’re leaving now” stance. I do believe that they would have rescheduled, without blaming us/counting it against us.

In any case the assessor appeared just at that point, apologised profusely etc. And gave us the option to reschedule, if we wanted/ if I was too fatigued to proceed.

I’m keen to avoid losing my Motability car any sooner than necessary, and a further delay would have postponed that (should that be the eventual outcome, as it has been for so many), but we decided to just get it over with.

The assessor (who said she was a Nurse), was friendly, appeared fully competent, conducted the matter in a very positive manner, and left us feeling glad that we had proceeded.

After just under an hour the assessment was complete and we got back in the car before our 3 hour Blue badge parking time expired.

Apart from the delay (which Is the sort of thing most of us have experienced when turning up to a hospital Consultants appointment, only to find others there with the same appointment time, i.e. the start of the surgery schedule and not an individual appointment time), we were very pleased with the process.

Of course I have no idea whether I’ll be satisfied with the outcome, but that’s for another day.

I was pleasantly surprised and grateful today, as I’ve read many less than positive reviews about IAS/the process.

I hope others have a good experience. Even better than mine.

Good luck to all :)

P.S. I’ve been on DLA for almost 20 years (increasing levels over the years as my MS has progressed); I have no IAS/Atos affiliations; I worry for the future of the Welfare state, and the threat to Disabled support, and will vote accordingly next month
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon, BIS, SUE C C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #240774 by SUE C C
Replied by SUE C C on topic PIP Assessment feedback/experience
Hello DA
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your PIP assessment in such detailed. I am transitioning from long term DLA to PIP and waiting for an appointment for my home visit, I received a phone call 2 days ago asking if a home visit would be more beneficial for me. I live in Cambridgeshire.

I sincerely hope that you receive the award you are hoping for DA.

Thanks again
Sue

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 3 months ago #242963 by DAitken0
Replied by DAitken0 on topic PIP Assessment feedback/experience/result
Hi Sue,

Good luck with your own DLA/PIP transition.

I've just received my decision result: Enhanced rate for both care and mobility. :)
Just the same level as I was on DLA, and if my arithmetic (reading yesterday's B&W newsletter) is correct I'm in the 14% of those who do get the same level of transition award.
It's just over 8 weeks since my assessment (and 7 for their decision, as the letter has last week's date on it).
As this has included the Christmas holidays I'm amazed I've heard back so soon.

The icing on the cake is the phrase "for an ongoing period".
That's a weight off my mind: no short term reassessment.
Maybe the DWP/Government are really listening to some of the disability community's feedback.
My MS will not get any better, quite the reverse, and there's no point wasting taxpayers money (which includes me too) assessing me, stressing me out, and lining the pockets of private companies and shareholders.

Anyway, I'll savour the moment, but not without paying tribute to all the Benefits and Work team, the forum, the guides, etc. without which this would have been an even more stressful and fatiguing process. And I must thank my wife too.

Sorry, it's reading like it's an Oscars ceremony speech. :lol:

Anyway, many thanks for your good wishes, and good luck to you and everyone else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Devon idil, Dan Statham

More
4 years 3 months ago #242968 by SUE C C
Replied by SUE C C on topic PIP Assessment feedback/experience/result
Hello again DA

Thank you for your good wishes.

My assessment took place in my home on 11 December 2019. I requested a copy of the Disabilities Assessor's written report on 18 December 2019, it arrived 2 weeks later. The CAPITA assessor was pleasant enough and conducted my assessment in an efficient and professional manner. However, it soon became clear that, by way of omissions and/or misunderstanding, by the CAPITA Assessor and myself, not all of the information and/or supporting, medical documents I submitted had been read in full.

I've now spent another 2 weeks, going through the whole report and asked the DWP Decision Maker to consider the missing information/evidence, before making their final decision. That went in the post on Monday 13 January 2020 and I've received a text to say that the DWP "Have received the written report of your PIP assessment" so now it's a matter of wait and see.

I was just so relieved to see the back of my PIP application, but unfortunately it was only 1 of 2 questionnaires the other is ESA sent 4 September 2019, just the 19 weeks and counting! I like you think the invaluable B&W team, the moderators, their guides, the members and the Forum, all deserve huge thanks. Without them all, I'm fairly sure I'd have fallen at the first hurdle, but not anymore.

Well DA, I sincerely hope that you keep in relatively good health and enjoy your now stress free award for the next 10 years.

Warmest best wishes
Sue

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAitken0

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.