× Members

NI credits

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #241915 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Fighting for temporary ESA+HB, or UC?
grace

When your ESA(IR) claim was closed you still Limited Capability for Work and as long as you have not done anything to suggest that this is no applicable it should be assumed for a reclaim, so this is not an issue of whether you still meet the criteria for an award.

You are only eligible for ESA(IR) because you do not have an open claim, this would give you entitlement to payment. The DWP can decide that you have entitlement, this is the discussion you need to have with them.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #241930 by grace
Replied by grace on topic Fighting for temporary ESA+HB, or UC?
LET’S PRETEND FOR THIS POST THAT MY LOCAL AUTHORITY ARE NOT INSISTING I CLAIM UC

However, this is a DWP memo and does not cover HB, so if your Local Authority decides that you can only apply for HB via UC then you will still not be able to reclaim ESA, whatever the DWP's view is.

HB: Does the Local Authority really have independence over their decisions, rather than having to submit to what the DWP state? When a local benefits advisor phoned our Council in October for me, that staff member said she wasn’t sure about my situation and that I should speak to ESA first to see what they say. This HB assessment team leader e-mailed me that she was wrong AFTER I had done my online HB claim (you'd suggested claiming and letting them argue that I am not "entitled"). So do you have any suggestions for how I convince this HB team leader who changed her mind from my being “entitled” to my being in “receipt” of the SDP “within the last month” (in order to qualify for claiming HB, and not UC)? Does this memo have a reference number which I could give to her to make her read it?

More
4 years 4 months ago #241934 by Gordon
Grace

It is one of those things that you think to yourself, I really wish I had bookmarked that, I will try and find the link over the weekend.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 4 months ago #241936 by grace
Gordon, I am deeply, deeply appreciative of your help!!!
Yes, that link would be extremely useful for me if you can find it, as I'm hoping to e-mail this team leader on Monday.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #241943 by Gordon
Grace

I found the entry but I'm afraid it does not include a link to the original text, just a summary of its contents by someone who had read it, the memo was internal to the DWP so there is no other way to retrieve the information.

Gordon

Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

More
4 years 4 months ago #242027 by grace
Ok, thanks so much for looking.

Are there any grounds – that I could quote to her - for arguing (“entitled” to SDP) on the technicality that I completed my HB claim based on her first e-mail/letter telling me I could claim HB because I was “entitled” to SDP? Surely, she can’t just make me claim 1 benefit (HB) then change her mind and tell me I need to claim another benefit (UC)? Surely, she needs to pay the penalty for advising me incorrectly – and not me?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.