× Members

NI credits

More
4 years 2 months ago #243429 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Fighting for temporary ESA+HB, or UC?
Grace

The first thing is that your capital is not what you have in this one account, it is the total of any and all of your bank accounts, building society accounts, the money you have in cash, any assets you have such as an ISA or Premium Bonds, etc.

The money you receive in benefits is disregarded for the period of the payment, so ESA is normally paid on a fortnightly basis, after that, anything you have not spent becomes capital.

So, as I said in my last post, the deduction will be based on the last total of your savings (capital) and assets that you have reported to the DWP. It is your responsibility to notify the DWP if there is a persistent reduction in the total, the deduction should then be adjusted to that new total.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #243430 by Gordon
Grace

Just to add, if the deduction is not what you expect it to be then you will have to ask the DWP what total they have used for your savings and assets.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 2 months ago #243431 by grace
Replied by grace on topic Fighting for temporary ESA+HB, or UC?
Yip, I know that capital can comprise of those things you listed...

I'm going to ponder more on some of the things you wrote (my brain has had enough for today), but just to double-check: for the purposes of paying me ESA and HB, they are required to ignore my DLA money, hey?

More
4 years 2 months ago #243432 by Gordon
Grace

No, your DLA is not treated as income in regard to your ESA and HB but once it has been disregarded for the payment period, normally four weeks, then any DLA that you have not spent will be treated as capital/savings.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: grace

More
4 years 2 months ago #243443 by grace

the Credits are paid by totally separate legislation from that used for ESA

But my thinking is correct that if you have no ESA (or UC) claim open, you can't be paid NI contributions?

More
4 years 2 months ago #243444 by grace

The money you receive in benefits is disregarded for the period of the payment, after that, anything you have not spent becomes capital.

So even though all benefits are paid in arrears (ie for the fortnight or 4 weeks just prior to the payment date), by "period of payment" you were meaning for the fortnight or 4 weeks FROM the payment date?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.