× Members

pip moving around descriptor

More
2 years 2 months ago #266920 by diceman24
Replied by diceman24 on topic pip moving around descriptor
hi gary thanks for your reply i need some one to push me in my wheelchair has i have limited strengh in arms and shoulders due to muscle wasting MD
The following user(s) said Thank You: LL26

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #266930 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic pip moving around descriptor
Hi diceman24,
Are you sure that you can walk 18m safely, repeatedly, to an acceptable standard and within a reasonable time. You mention in response to Gary's post that after 18m you get dizzy, pain etc. Any walking completed with 'severe discomfort' has to be discounted. Points for physical walking does not involve what I call the 'duracell battery test'. If you have seen the adverts, the other batteries pack up, and of course the little toy rabbit with the duracell battery goes on forever, until it finally packs up a lot later. There is NOTHING in the PIP walking tests that assume that your walking ability is the duracell battery scenario where you have to go to your absolute maximum distance where you absolutely can not go any further. (ie you collapse and need to be taken away to hospital!) Severe discomfort is not severe agony or excruciating pain, or even laying on the floor gasping for air. Severe discomfort is perhaps around 7.5 or 8 out of ten for pain/breathlessness etc where 10 is worst ever pain and 0 is no pain. Additionally if you can manage your 18m but you are prone to stumbles or falls, walk twice a slowly as eg a non-disabled friend. or even that you can't repeat the walk for several hours or even day/s, then for PIP purposes your walking ability may well be much less than 18m. (Remember PIP ability is not the 'duracell' maximum, and may well be considerably less.)
Remember that if you confidently tell DWP you can do 18m, they may well say, well 18m, is very close to 20m, and your 'dead cert' 12 points under 2e is likely to be downgraded to 2d, or perhaps 2c which is only 8 points and standard rate! Therefore think carefully about how you manage to walk 18m, consider also the way you walk, do you need a stick or frame, do you have to hold on to someone etc as this may be relevant to whether you can do this distance 'to an acceptable standard'.
That said, if you have already thought about the criteria I have mentioned above and taking all of these into account your PIP walking ability is correct, then make sure you explain it very thoroughly and why you know it is exactly 18m!
If you need an assessment, some of these places are away from the road and have long corridors, I have no doubt that it would be preferable to arrive in your chair and this will be much easier fore you and more comfortable. If you manage to go in on foot then you will almost certainly be asked where you parked, and the assessors will know all the distances, and the distance through the building! My local centre has a long corridor that claimants have to walk down. Assessors then comment 'Mrs X could walk 15m down the corridor to the room'. Needless to say when one of my claimants urgently needed the toilet he was shown out by another door only 2m from the waiting area and toilet!
Food for thought!
I hope this helps.

LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, diceman24, Waxwing

More
2 years 2 months ago #266947 by Angel
Replied by Angel on topic pip moving around descriptor
BTW. With PIP focus on what you CANNOT do. This is the reverse of your day to day when you praise yourself for what you CAN do..
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Gary, Waxwing, LL26

More
2 years 2 months ago #267022 by diceman24
thank you for your help on this question and yes i always have pain when just standing due to muscular dysrophy and scollois of my spine i walk slowly with a walking stick or hold on to my carer than transfer to wheel chair i also have medical reports stating severe limited walking and uses wheelchair also i do walk slowly and cannot repeat trying to walk again for at least 10mins due to my MD also when i do stand up im dizzy all the time even without walking

More
2 years 2 months ago #267032 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic pip moving around descriptor
Hi diceman24

I have noticed over time that when claimants talk about moving around, they seldom mention how they get up from a seating position to walk. Quite often I notice that claimants when they raise themselves from a seated position have to wait to get their balance before moving off.

You say when you do get up you are dizzy, how long does the dizziness last, in your post you say that you are dizzy all the time, so explain as to how this affects your walking, does it cause you to stumble or fall?

What effect does this dizziness have on your other activities such as cooking , getting dressed, washing etc etc.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Waxwing

More
2 years 2 months ago #267055 by diceman24
thank you gary for very good advise with the condition is i have over a 12 month period i have 70% of the time is bad days and 30%is not so bad days,so majority of times has soon has i stand up im dizzy{brain fog} and yes i have fallen a few times i have this written in my consultant letters about how my health condition also consultant states on letters i need ADLs{activities of daily living} help at all times

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.