× Members

DLA renewal, turned down really upset

• harley
  • Topic Author
14 years 2 months ago #15049 by harley
Hi

I recently sent my DLA renewal form back, I got an answer within 7 days, and was told I wasn't entitled to my DLA anymore.

I have been claiming DLA,lrm and lrc, for the last 10 years, and my last award was for 5 years, I just don't understand, my condition has not changed, it has got slightly worse,but I was quite happy with the award I was receiving.

I thought they might have a least contacted my GP, considering the amount of painkillers I'm on (MST, Oromorph) as I do get a lot of pain,which I told them about.

I rang them up, and the guy on the phone said I could ask for a re-consideration or appeal, so asked them to send me the appeal form, which I know I have to reply within a month. I am just so upset about it all, how can you suddenly get well and not be entitled to anything after 10 years, any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Harley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete17971
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #15051 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:DLA renewal, turned down really upset
harley wrote:

Hi

I recently sent my DLA renewal form back, I got an answer within 7 days, and was told I wasn't entitled to my DLA anymore.

I have been claiming DLA,lrm and lrc, for the last 10 years, and my last award was for 5 years, I just don't understand, my condition has not changed, it has got slightly worse,but I was quite happy with the award I was receiving.

I thought they might have a least contacted my GP, considering the amount of painkillers I'm on (MST, Oromorph) as I do get a lot of pain,which I told them about.

I rang them up, and the guy on the phone said I could ask for a re-consideration or appeal, so asked them to send me the appeal form, which I know I have to reply within a month. I am just so upset about it all, how can you suddenly get well and not be entitled to anything after 10 years, any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Harley

Hi,

I am sorry to read of your situation. Sadly it is not unique.

In general we advise claimants to go straight to Appeal as opposed to a 'Re-consideration'. This is because a Re-consideration is done as part of the Appeal process anyway. Also relatively few awards (or non awards) are changed at the Re-consideration stage, but the success rate is much higher at an appeal tribunal, particularly at an 'oral' tribunal where you. and if you wish, either a representative or friend may attend.

As to why you were turned down, we would not know without going through your case papers. As part of the appeal process you will receive a 'bundle' of case papers. You can also ask for these, including ther Decision Makers 'Statment of Reasons' before getting the bundle.

It would then be worthwhile obtaining some face to face advice from a Welfare Rights Adviser, who can go through the case papers and help you prepare for a tribunal. They can also represent you at the tribunal.

Incidentally, can I ask, was your 'renewal' form the new short 4 page form, or the full twenty something page form?

Regards

Pete
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by pete17971. Reason: clarity

• harley
  • Topic Author
14 years 2 months ago #15059 by harley
Replied by harley on topic Re:DLA renewal, turned down really upset
Hi Pete,

thanks for your prompt reply, the form was the twenty odd page one, I have a number to ring to get some welfare benefits advice, so will call them tommorow.

I just don't see the logic of the DLA people, it's like they just had a quick scan of my form and said no, especially the high powered medication I'm on, GP's don't give out medication like that if you're not in a lot of pain.

I told them about my panic attacks and dizzy spells, but in the letter they sent back they said I didn't need any help, because I don't have panic attacks or dizzy spells.

I had a dizzy spell in front of my consultant last week, and he had to hold onto me, so I didn't fall over. Sorry for the rant, I'm getting angry about it now. Anyway thanks for the reply will keep u posted.

Harley

• mouse
14 years 2 months ago #15110 by mouse
Replied by mouse on topic Re:DLA renewal, turned down really upset
I now why you are so angry im just starting out on this dla battle feild Im not on the wright treatment or pain relife so it cant be sesious HA Im alegice to the meds most people are on with my condition and to young for surguery which in my case would not have much chance of impoving things. so dla say i dont need help you should be angry im moving gp as mine takes the same view. just keep fighting youl get their in the end

• harley
  • Topic Author
14 years 2 months ago #15132 by harley
Hi Mouse, thank you for replying, I have to say my GP is very good, maybe I should have asked him for a letter of support. anyway you must keep on trying, good luck.

• harley
  • Topic Author
14 years 2 months ago #15289 by harley
I thought I added a post yesterday, but something my have happened to it, but If I am repeating myself, I'm sorry.

Anyway I have now got my appeal form, hopefully the welfare rights lady will be back from holiday this week, but in case she isn't, can I ask, when I send my appeal form back, could I send further evidence, say a support letter from my GP, or do I wait until I get the proper appeal bundle of papers?

thsnk you

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.