× Members

INCAPACITY BENEFIT AND INCOME FROM HOUSE RENTAL

More
13 years 7 months ago #25265 by elaine pyrke
Replied by elaine pyrke on topic Re:INCAPACITY BENEFIT AND INCOME FROM HOUSE RENTAL
Like others, I don't think rental income should affect contribution-based benefits (whether IB or, when you get there, contribution-based ESA).

I don't know if this is something the Benefits Enquiry Line could give a definitive answer on - at least you can ask them anonymously.

All the best
Elaine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #25279 by Nellybaby
Hi Everybody
So surprised and delighted to get such speedy and helpful replies to my first post.Thank you all!Yes I have been in receipt of IB PRE 1995 so I am protected somewhat.I do realise that taxman will have to be notified.My big worry was whether it would be regarded as work.Will drop them a line to be on safe side.Also have to gen up on this new benefit. :)
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by Crazydiamond. Reason: Emoticon correctly inserted.

• originaldave
13 years 7 months ago #25304 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:INCAPACITY BENEFIT AND INCOME FROM HOUSE RENTAL
one last thing renting out a house left in a will is different to buying property to rent out, if you have your own home and the one left to you thats ok, but buy or end up with more property and that might not be looked at the same

also if i was you i would get an agent to rent out the property sort out repairs and collect rent if you can

they might try to say in the future if you can carry out the tasks needed to run a property other than your home your fit to work ? if they move the goal posts

More
13 years 7 months ago #25467 by Jenny2
Incapacity Benefit is taxable for those who started to receive it after April 1995, but receiving it is not dependent on how much money, property, or capital you have. Getting rent from a second property is the concern of the Tax Man, but nothing to do with the DWP.

However, like someone who has posted above, I think the abolition of IB and the 'migrating' of people onto ESA or JSA - where far fewer people will be eligible for ESA, and JSA is already means-tested - is a way of moving towards making all benefits means-tested.

Another worrying development concerning IB, is the government's latest proposal to use credit reference agencies to find people spending beyond their apparent means. As my IB is not means-tested, what I spend money on, and how much I spend, has no connection with fraud, and is nobody's business but mine. But it does occur to me that their stated wish to find people - including IB claimants - for example 'spending a lot of money on gardening' may be a way to snoop on our private lives. No doubt as a disabled person I cannot have a garden, buy a tent, or go on holiday...or do anything else that might help towards a satisfying life...

An alternative explanation is that our dear P.M. does not know how the benefit system works. If so, he won't be the first.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.