× Members

Diagnosed with CFS, not sent in ESA50 yet, should.

• j adam
  • Topic Author
13 years 6 months ago #27803 by j adam
Hi Everyone.
I’m new on here. I’ve being diagnosed by Kings College London with CFS about a month ago.
I’ll been put on ESA by the DWP and sent the ESA50 form which I’m just about to send back to them. I also have received a Pathways to work interview to attend tomorrow.
Question: Can CFS claimants claim DLA?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• millymoo
13 years 6 months ago #27809 by millymoo
Hi

DLA is based on how much help you require not what is wrong with you. It is worth reading the DLA literature on this site it helps you to complete the application regarding your care and mobility and is well worth its weight in gold.

It is worth applying for DLA you have got nothing to lose.

Good luck

Mm :)

More
13 years 6 months ago #27811 by melady
Hi there, and welcome to our forum. I have had ME/CFS for 8 years and have been entitled to DLA at high rate for mobility and low rate for care. I was due for renewal in August which has not been renewed and I am now in the process of appealing. My advice is to you is to apply for DLA following advice from this site using the guides. Fingers crossed for you.

More
13 years 6 months ago #27904 by mayflower
Hi j adam
I too have CFS/ME & have been attending the CFS unit at Kings for CBT. I haven't yet claimed DLA as I have so many other things going on that I can't face it just yet. If you haven't yet sent back the ESA50 do check out the excellent guides here, Physical & mental, for claiming & also search in the forums all the posts about claiming for CFS/ME & also under ME/CFS just to check you have covered everything. Success at the medical for continuing awards of ESA for CFS/ME are very variable. Do also look at the guides re attending the medical & the questions you are likely to be asked & if at all possible have someone who accompany you & take notes. I was lucky & scored enough points to be placed in the work related group thanks to the guides on this site, I am certain I wouldn't have been successful without them.
Good luck.
maggie

More
13 years 6 months ago #27934 by Gordon
Hi j adam

I'm always a bit worried about warning people of bad news in case it puts them off, please don't let the following do so.

I am also an ME/CFS sufferer (12 1/2 years) and I'm also going through the ESA process albeit somewhat ahead of you. I would recommend you review your ESA50 form, first against the ESA docs in the members section and then secondly with regard to the rest you undoubtedly need to take after activity.

I didn't do this very well on my forms and as a result scored 0 points and have had to go to tribunal. From mine and other ME sufferers experience the ATOS staff ignore or severely mark down in this area although there are instructions for taking "reasonable repeatability" into account.

Best of luck

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• originaldave
13 years 4 months ago #37508 by originaldave
Gordon wrote:

Hi j adam

I'm always a bit worried about warning people of bad news in case it puts them off, please don't let the following do so.

I am also an ME/CFS sufferer (12 1/2 years) and I'm also going through the ESA process albeit somewhat ahead of you. I would recommend you review your ESA50 form, first against the ESA docs in the members section and then secondly with regard to the rest you undoubtedly need to take after activity.

I didn't do this very well on my forms and as a result scored 0 points and have had to go to tribunal. From mine and other ME sufferers experience the ATOS staff ignore or severely mark down in this area although there are instructions for taking "reasonable repeatability" into account.

Best of luck

Steve

have you had your appeal yet ?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.