× Members

Carers Allowance, Joint Income Support?

More
13 years 4 months ago #37553 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Carers Allowance, Joint Income Support?
I think the person who is being cared for has to be receiving DLA Medium or Higher Rate Care in order for someone to be able to claim Carers Allowance for them.

Only the child is receiving this, Snowbirds wife is only receiving Lower Rate Care.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Survivor
13 years 4 months ago #37554 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re:Carers Allowance, Joint Income Support?
It's possible to get both DLA and CA, depending on whether the nature of the caring is compatible with the nature of the care needs the carer has. I don't pretend to know what sort of care an autistic child would need.

More
13 years 4 months ago #37555 by mistynow
Replied by mistynow on topic Re:Carers Allowance, Joint Income Support?
Dave wrote:

Survivor wrote:

I can't answer all your question, but if your wife continues to get DLA, what about her claiming CA as your son's carer and you claiming CA as her carer? It's possible for a couple to both get CA.

A very good idea one thats been done before, :) that said, I would be worried that there will come a time.... when they will say if you are now able to do the required 35 hours per week looking after somebody ( that you have to say you are doing to get CA) ... why where you claiming IB or ESA or DLA for yourself :( before ?

I cant see it being long before this way of looking at people is taken. Because its the sort of point of view that will be taken

WRO advised most strongly against claiming CA by me as on HRC/HRM for himself on AA as felt that issue would come under the spotlight by various 'cut your benefits bods' sooner rather than later

• Survivor
13 years 4 months ago #37567 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re:Carers Allowance, Joint Income Support?
Gordon wrote:

I think the person who is being cared for has to be receiving DLA Medium or Higher Rate Care in order for someone to be able to claim Carers Allowance for them.

Only the child is receiving this, Snowbirds wife is only receiving Lower Rate Care.

Gordon

Belatedly catching up on the thread. Thanks for pointing this out, Gordon, I didn't read the OP properly so I didn't pick up on what rate care the wife was getting.

More
13 years 4 months ago #37571 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Carers Allowance, Joint Income Support?
Snowbird

We have all had a look at your situation but feel we cannot offer you any realistic advice as your situation is far too complex for these forums.

There are too many overlapping benefits, benefits that exclude others and benefits that include others. You really need to sit down with an advisor who can realistically understand all of your circumstances, the limitations that are placed on it, and the restrictions you would like to apply.

I am sorry that we can't help you more than we have.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 4 months ago #37573 by Doris
Replied by Doris on topic Re:Carers Allowance, Joint Income Support?
mistynow wrote:

WRO advised most strongly against claiming CA by me as on HRC/HRM for himself on AA as felt that issue would come under the spotlight by various 'cut your benefits bods' sooner rather than later

I've heard so many opinions on this from many sources. Some say that people on HRM or HRC claiming CA for their partner is deemed acceptable because people naturally would spend at least 35 hours per week looking after ( or over ) each over.

Even the DWP have been known to say this is quite the norm within families where both partners are in receipt of MRC or HRC.

The benefits helpline actively advise you to claim CA if eligible & you're in the above situation.

But at the same time there does appear to be a conflict and one which no doubt the government of the day will look into and bring to a halt.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.