× Members

Applied for ESA 3 weeks ago. What now?xxxxx

• QueenyV
  • Topic Author
13 years 3 months ago #43558 by QueenyV
Hi everyone, hope you are all ok.
I have a question about ESA. I have been put on the sick due to my mental illness. I am not entitled to SSP so I put a claim in for ESA about 3 weeks ago over the phone. They sent out a long form to check all the details are correct soon after, I rang them to ammend a few things and I also was asked for different things such as SSP1 form, wage slips, accounts from my self employed (part time) partner and sick note which I sent about 2 weeks ago.
Was just wondering what happens now? I haven't heard anything as yet. Does it take 13 weeks from now until I get any payments? Or will I get the lower payment first until a decision is made? I'm really confused as to how it works as I have never claimed before. Is the 13 weeks they speak about from the day I applied over the phone or from when they've recieved all the documents they required?
Thanks so much for any help.
Take care
xxxxx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #43567 by Derek4
Hi QueenyV

Subject to qualifying for income or contribution based ESA, you normally start receiving payments within two to three weeks backdated to the date of your claim, although you may not be paid for the first three days (waiting days) of your claim.

The assessment phase lasts 13 weeks and begins from the date of your claim. The assessment rate is currently £65.45 a week but that may be affected by savings or partner's earnings.

You normally receive an ESA50 medical questionnaire within a few weeks followed by a medical after the form has been processed. If you pass the medical you will receive an extra component to your payments at the end of the assessment phase.

You will find much more detail of the process in the Understanding ESA guide in the members' area.

Hope this is helpful

Derek

• QueenyV
  • Topic Author
13 years 3 months ago #43693 by QueenyV
Thank you Derek that has been very helpfull, thanks so much for helping me understand, as I'm sure you're aware with a mental health problem it's sometimes very hard to take things in depending on the state of mind you are in.
Thanks again for your advice.
I think I will give them a call tomorrow just to see what's happening. Don't want tolook too 'pushy' you know what I mean.
Thanks so much.
God bless.
xxxxx

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.