× Members

Phone call from DWP, not the best news.

• MRNicholas
  • Topic Author
11 years 11 months ago #84798 by MRNicholas
Phone call from DWP, not the best news. was created by MRNicholas
Evening all,

I hope you're all doing well and not with too much stress. I got a phone call from the decision maker today re: my ESA50 application and medical assessment. I have ME/CFS and scored 6 points. I was told by the DM that this was 'not enough points' (for what group I don't know) and that I was borderline between 6 and 15 points but initially that I had scored 6 points only for mobilisation). He also said that he had drafted a letter to my GP and was sending me a copy - he wants to get further information to be able to make a final decision and told me that that was what this call was primarily about.

What worries me is my GP hasn't seemed entirely convinced, to me at least, that he believes ME exists ("I don't *not* believe in it" were his exact words"). Also, the DM said that most healthcare professionals are finding claimants fit for work at the moment, so that didn't fill me with much confidence either. It seems you don't have the same doctor for five minutes these days, which is a shame, as my previous doctor seemed much more sympathetic.

I'm currently on DLA (HRM/LRC) and also was being transferred from long term IB (having been claiming that since 2004). I've been to three appeals tribunal hearings in the past (for IB) and bracing myself for a fourth later this year or next, but don't know if i have the strength for it.

Beginning to think at this point that throwing the towel in the ring and saying "yes I can work" and just working my way to an early grave in extreme pain, despite the fact that I'm not well enough to work in truth. At least I'd be in control of matters rather than living in perpetual fear and being treated like a criminal. I know this sounds daft but the thoughts that go through your head when your stressed to the nines about surviving.

Sorry, just wanted to vent a bit. Is anyone here currently in a similar position? How do you cope to get through the day? Thanks.

Matthew.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #84807 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Phone call from DWP, not the best news.
Matthew

Unfortunately, as I am sure you know there is no definitive disgnosis for ME, it is usually the last resort after everything else has been ruled out, which makes it easy, even for trained professionals to be dismissive of it. My doctor insists on calling it CFS, despite my repeatedly telling him that my fatigue is only one of the symptoms I suffer from.

All that said, a diagnosis is just a label for a bunch of symptoms and it these that are important in regard to the ESA descriptors, so hopefully, as long as they accept that your symptoms are real, they will correctly complete the form sent by the DWP.

Good luck

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• MRNicholas
  • Topic Author
11 years 11 months ago #84902 by MRNicholas
Replied by MRNicholas on topic Re:Phone call from DWP, not the best news.
Thanks Gordon,

Sorry to hear you have ME also, obviously I can sympathise with you. I have almost the same experience with my Dr., the last time or two he referred to my ME as chronic fatigue; like you I reminded him about the pain part. Not sure if he really seemed interested or even believed it. Seems a pleasant guy though, which is neither here nor there if, in the end, they decide not to support you. As you say the biggest hurdle is whether or not you are believed, time will tell on that one…

Speaking of pleasant: I had the nicest person you could wish for as an ATOS medical assessor but in the end I'm not sure if it was just an act. She offered me the option of not having to go through the normal medical as she thought it would exacerbate my symptoms, she even said I looked tired and was in some discomfort in the chair. So I took her advice and decided not to have the physical examination; I'd submitted a great deal of written information and she said "we like that!" (the more info we, as the claimant, can supply the better) – perhaps she thought that would suffice(?). Looks like she didn't write anything particularly favourable down in the end but at least she was kind enough to suggest I score some points.

Anyway, I'm rambling.
Hope you have a relaxing weekend, and little pain as possible of course.

Matthew

• Flower
11 years 11 months ago #84905 by Flower
Replied by Flower on topic Re:Phone call from DWP, not the best news.
Dear Matthew,

I also suffer from CFS/ME. I've only had 2 years so far after being very active before. I understand the huge lows that come with the benefit system on to of losing a job and ability to do many things.

I recently won my tribunal with 18 points from 0 at medical. So I would hang in there. Being very focussed on specific points you know you should get, and maybe helping your GP understand this would be a help. If it does go to tribunal, you will likely win, so don't give up.
I have tried thinking of every possible avenue of work to, as you say, thow in the towel and get out the system, but I can see how terrible I feel just having a family memeber to visit makes me feel, and I realise I am dreaming.
I recently did a paraphrase of Psalm 27 inserting DWP/ATOS for enemies and armies which I found help me battle on!
God bless, Flower.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #84949 by chrysalis
Replied by chrysalis on topic Re:Phone call from DWP, not the best news.
Hi, I wish you the best. I have the same problem where my GP seems to change every 5 minutes (they using temps) and I feel like yourself this is a big issue as the GP then doesnt get to learn the patient and build a relationship with them. I am considering to start insisting on seeing a certian GP now everytime I go although I expect that will lead to hostility from the receptionist at the GP.
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by slugsta.

More
11 years 11 months ago #84952 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Re:Phone call from DWP, not the best news.
You are prefectly entitled to see the GP of your chosing - as long as you accept any extra waiting time occasioned by this.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.