× Members

Can I Renew DLA now I've had a baby, and should I

• sam
  • Topic Author
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #98756 by sam
My Dla is due for renewing, and I'm really confused what to do/how to do it. Can anyone please help?

I have been receiving DLA for about 3 yrs for severe depression and anxiety, I get lower rate for care as i need help to prepare cooked meals for myself, and mobility as i need help ,guidance/supervision walking outside, and in places i don't know.

Do i need to let them know i've had a baby.

I have had to stop taking my medcines throughout pregnancy , I'm worried this will go against me when i write it in the form.
Not having my meds have had a really bad effect on me,as they help fight depresion and panik attacks and help me sleep.

Being Pregnant though, shattered me out and eventually would get to sleep,but depression ect..still there. Now i've had baby I'm happy I have a child and its picked me up abit, but still i'm still not better,I have something to live for.

I also havent seen my doctor for a long time, as i had a midwife come see me. so really i havent been getting much help from them, but my family has been my main support. But I don't know how to put this in words on the dla form

I'm just as i'll as i was before i got pregnant, my conditions have kind of worsend through out pregnancy, and I still feel the same now baby is 2 weeks old.
I'm worried that because I havent had medcine for 9 months,or doctors support, they,ll think all is well with me, and it will look this way if they contact my doctor.

the reason I didnt go and keep seeing my doctor as I usually would before i got pregnant, is that i was scared, and still scared that if the authorties know i'm still ill they might get social services involved with my baby, and so I still havent been

I'm worried if I keep acting like everything is ok, my DLA will get stopped,if I tell the truth, there is no eveidance with my GP, and I might look like a liar, and have my baby taken away, because of mental health issues. I don't know what to do :sick:
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #98762 by Gordon
Hi Sam

Just to try and put this in context, if you are expecting a DLA renewal pack,then your DLA must have been awarded for a fixed term, so if you do not complete and return the forms, your DLA will be stopped anyway, so you have nothing to lose by completing and returning the form. :)

DLA Change of Circumstances often fall into a huge grey area, where you are trying to second guess how the DWP will look at something, my view is that your having a child is something you need to infrom the DWP about.

I cannot really comment on how your having a child will be viewed in the context of you having Mental Health issues, but I am sure that there are 1000s of mothers in a similar position to you, where there is no question of their ability to look after their child.

In completing your form, you will need to give some thought to how your managing to care for your child fits into your answers to the questions on the DLA form, this does not have to be negative, but it is likely that the DWP Decision Maker will make assumptions as to your capabilities, so for example; if you need prompting in your daily activities, then you should think about how you cope with the baby in this scenario, the answer may be as simple as the baby crying, but even if this case, do not think it too simple to mention.

Please make sure that you refer to our DLA guides in the Members area.

Best of luck

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: sam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.