× Members

failed Atos Medical (2),ESA stopped..advice

• Alex
  • Topic Author
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #114414 by Alex
I sent the appeal form and a fit note to DWP the other day,
but today I received another letter from them dated one day after the decision letter (but arrived 6 days after the decision letter)..in the letter they mention I now need to request mandatory reconsideration before I can appeal :unsure:

now since I sent the appeal GL24 form yesterday,what should I do?
do I need to send another request for reconsideration,or do they treat the GL24 as a reconsideration request?

if I need to send another request,what should I write in the letter?

is there any update or actual experience from a member regarding how long their consideration really takes? there is an article in news section in which they said their aim for 2 weeks?
if it's 2 weeks I prefer to stay without money rather than claiming JSA,with my health issues I really can't do job search and attend JC appointments regularly etc
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #114421 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic failed Atos Medical (2),ESA stopped..advice

Alex wrote: I sent the appeal form and a fit note to DWP the other day,
but today I received another letter from them dated one day after the decision letter (but arrived 6 days after the decision letter)..in the letter they mention I now need to request mandatory reconsideration before I can appeal :unsure:

now since I sent the appeal GL24 form yesterday,what should I do?
do I need to send another request for reconsideration,or do they treat the GL24 as a reconsideration request?

if I need to send another request,what should I write in the letter?

is there any update or actual experience from a member regarding how long their consideration really takes? there is an article in news section in which they said their aim for 2 weeks?
if it's 2 weeks I prefer to stay without money rather than claiming JSA,with my health issues I really can't do job search and attend JC appointments regularly etc

They should accept the GL24 as an intention to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, but these are early days in a new process, so I would be tempted to send a second letter, with the same information as you had on the GL24 requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration.

As to timescales, the DWP have said 10 working days, but our experience of the Reconsideration process prior to the introduction of MR's is that they can take any time up to six months, at this time we have no understanding of whether the timescales have changed and how.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Alex
  • Topic Author
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #114437 by Alex
I filled the GL24 using the guides on this website and there was one full page explaining some of the reasons I disagree with the decision.

-but should I write all those reasons in the reconsideration letter too?

my main goal is to speed up the reconsideration process as much as I can and get on basic rate ESA ASAP.

-are there any advice/guide for claiming JSA white awaiting mandatory reconsideration?

-I read former ESA clients can put some restrictions on activities and jobs they intend to do?

-what are my rights as someone who has been on ESA and is awaiting reconsideration when I go to sign job seekers agreement?

when I tried to apply online for JSA I got the following message :

Because you have received Employment and Support Allowance in the last month your application will be dealt with more quickly if you telephone Jobcentre Plus, where a customer service agent will help you apply for Jobseeker's Allowance.

Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 4 months ago #114443 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic failed Atos Medical (2),ESA stopped..advice
Alex

You have a choice, provide the minimum of information in regard the MR in the hope that it is dealt with as quickly as possible so you can lodge an appeal, or provide a detailed response in the hope of overturning the Decision so that you do not have to wait, possibly six months, for an appeal to be heard.

The key differentiator at the moment seem to be if a claimant provides new evidence, so I do not think that your sending in your reasons for challenging the situation will affect this, however, it is important to realise that this new process has only been in place for five weeks and we have not yet seen anybody come out the other end yet!

Currently we do not have any guides in regard to claiming JSA while waiting for an MR.

You can place restrictions on the type, hours and days that you are able to work, but there are minimum requirements, below which the DWP will refuse JSA, also you are liable to sanction if you fail to meet your commitment.

Other than a quick claim, as far as I am aware former ESA claimants have no additional rights in regard to JSA, you have been found legally Fit for Work (at the moment), and therefore are no different from any other JSA claimant, this of course does negate any limitations that result from your disability or illness.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 4 months ago #114457 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic failed Atos Medical (2),ESA stopped..advice
Please do keep us updated on how your Mandatory Reconsideration goes. We really don't have much info at the moment and you experiences will be interesting to us. Of course I appreciate its no fun being a DWP guinea pig!

• Alex
  • Topic Author
10 years 4 months ago #114460 by Alex
I will keep the forum updated.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.