Login FormClose

Free, fortnightly PIP, ESA and UC Updates

Our fortnightly bulletin, with over 80,000 subscribers, is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Find out what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare. Our mailing list is securely managed by icontact in the US.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Help please

Help please 4 months 3 days ago #232174

Hello, my mother has just received her letter to change from DLA to PIP & I’m hoping someone can give me some advice on how to fill in the forms.
She has Degenerative disc disease, fibromyalgia, Osteo arthritis , carpal tunnel syndrome, anxiety & depression just to name a few. She was on an indefinite award with DLA. What I wanted to ask is - as I am going to be writing the information on the form do I put the words coming from my mother, as in - I am unable to do this or that. Or would I put it from my point of view - my mother can no longer do this & that?
The form arrived late with the bank holiday & then got lost so I have to do all of this to sent it back by the 17th June! Her doctors have closed down so she is in a surgery that the doctors do not know her history as yet so I don’t know what to say to them for support. She has attended a pain clinic twice over the years but they signed her off as they were no longer able to help her. An OT visited her home in 2005 & it was adapted for her. They gave her a letter at the time to give to DLA so do I take a copy of that to send as supporting evidence for the adaptions she had done in her home even though it is from 2005? I have taken photos of the adaptions as I read someone did that to show as proof of them, but apart from that I just really don’t know where to start as everything I read on here confuses me to the point I don’t know how to word the struggles she suffers on a daily basis.
She has cut & scolded herself trying to prepare vegetables so I do all her cooking now. I help her with all aspects of her life including all the medication she takes, dressing & showering her. Do I just write all of that down from my point of view or do I put it as her saying it?
Any help will be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help please 4 months 3 days ago #232181


Start by looking at our PIP Claim guide


She should start by having a word with her GP to see what support they are prepared to offer, failing that she can request a copy of her medical records, this may provide you with more evidence to support her claim.

If you need it, she can request a two week extension on the time for returning the form.

If you are completing the form using your mother's words then it should be in the first Person ("I") but if it is your words then use the third person "she". In either case, explain what you have done and why.

The following user(s) said Thank You: welshlady

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: GordonGaryBIS