Login FormClose

Making a claim for PIP involves:

  • completing a PIP1 Personal Independence Payment claim form, normally by phone
  • completing a PIP2 How your disability affects you form
  • possibly having a face-to-face assessment with a health professional.

PIP1 form
Your initial claim for PIP will usually be made by telephone to:

Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777

Calls are free from landlines and mobiles.

If you are not able to use a phone you can write for a claim form to

Personal Independence Payment New Claims
Post Handling Site B
WV99 1AH

For more information see www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim

PIP2 form
You will need to fill in a form which will ask you about problems you have with activities like cooking, bathing, dressing and undressing, moving around and all the other activities for which you can score points in the PIP test.

You will also be given the opportunity to submit supporting evidence from health professionals, care workers and others.  The company carrying out the assessment – Atos or Capita – may also contact your GP or specialist for evidence. 

Face-to-face assessment
In most cases you will also have to attend a face-to-face assessment with a health professional.

This assessment will be based mostly on asking you questions, with a minimum of physical examination.

All the evidence, including the medical report from your face-to-face assessment will then be passed to a decision maker to make a final decision.  If you are unhappy with the decision you will have the right to appeal, although there will be a mandatory reconsideration process before you will be allowed to actually lodge an appeal.

You need to be logged in to comment

Free, fortnightly PIP, ESA and UC Updates

Our fortnightly bulletin, with over 80,000 subscribers, is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Find out what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare. Our mailing list is securely managed by icontact in the US.

Form Heading