× Members

Sharing my PIP journey, application, appeal, tribunal

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #290831 by mumof3
I applied for PIP on 7th Aug 2023. I called up but failed to complete the form because of anxiety, procrastination and then I simply forgot I applied (a major problem of mine).

I have really bad ADHD, Cyclothymia & Foraminal Stenosis.

Got a call to do a phone interview in November and then it was rescheduled to December. Had the call on 5th December and within an hour, got a text that DWP had received the report.

I was worried that I would not be awarded as I had not completed the form, nor sent any evidence, but the overwhelm of actually doing these things overpowered my worry of not doing what I was meant to do.

12th December, I was awarded Enhanced Living but 0 mobility. I was a bit concerned because I felt like I was entitled to mobility. I felt like they focused on my mental health and completely ignored my physical issue. Against the judgment of others, I submitted a phone appeal. Honestly, I just didn't see myself successfully completing a written appeal. When a method is not accessible to me, I just fail to do it.

My appeal was denied. I felt like the appeal just covered what would make you quality for each rate but didn't actually state why they had not awarded me mobility like I felt I should.

I decided to submit an appeal. As usual, I did not get this done on time, but it looks like my late reason was accepted. I did this on the 30th March. I submitted what evidence that I had. I was meant to submit more, but as usual I didn't. DWP had until 4th May to respond.

I received a message today (1st May) stating that DWP has changed its decision regarding my entitlement in my favor, and the appeal has now been closed.

I did attempt to call DWP today to see how the award was changed. I do hope that I don't lose my enhanced rate, but even if I do, I honestly don't think I can do another form. I'm so bad, and the anxiety I get from it is crippling.

I just wanted to share this with anyone who has feels like their ADHD or other mental health condition isn't taken seriously OR isn't worth fighting for OR if your mental health condition makes it difficult to go through the process like it was for me because you just can't get things done in time or you have severe anxiety around doing it.

I feel like sometimes DWP feels like your symptoms will disappear for the application process but mental health doesn't discriminate. It doesn't matter if I am applying for something that would benefit me or not, I just can't get simple things done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, KABTT , ivyfox, Sheila 966, Wendy Woo, Gary, LL26, Anji, Patty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #290845 by Gary
Hi mumof3

That is really terrific news, well done and congratulations. let us know when you get your results.

I am tagging my reply so that the back office also get to read your encouraging post.

Gary

Tags: @RESULT @PIP @ APPEAL

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Sheila 966, Wendy Woo, Anji

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #290854 by Anji
Hi there

Great news! And well done for persevering. As the mum of a son with ADHD I understand how hard it is to fill those forms in and remember what needs to be done. I have been completing everything for him, so such good news for you that you did this and were successful.

Anji
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Wendy Woo

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #290860 by mumof3
Thank you. I called up today, and the automated message told me my next payment was seven hundred and something, which sounds like enhanced mobility, too.
I'm not sure how long the backpay will take, but I didn't want to stay on hold to find out when I'll receive it so I'll just wait for the letter or payment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Wendy Woo, Anji

More
2 weeks 1 day ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #290868 by Chris
Hi mumof3,

Most claimants actually receive their backpay before there first payment. It tends to just turn up in your account, followed by a letter several days later.

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by Chris.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Wendy Woo, C, Anji

More
2 weeks 1 day ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #290894 by LL26
Hi mumof3,
Claiming benefit and following on through appeal can be an arduous process, and it is easy to give up. Credit to you for continuing!
From what you say it seems likely that you have achieved Enhanced Mobility. Fingers crossed! Thank you also for sharing your story as this does help encourage others to pursue their own claims. Once again well done for continuing with the appeal.
LL26

Last edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by LL26.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheila 966, Wendy Woo, C, Chris, Anji

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.