× Members

Agoraphobia - Planning and Following Journeys

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #290896 by Careworn
Hi. The person I care for is considering applying for PIP. He is currently in the support group of ESA. He has suffered from Agoraphobia and severe chronic anxiety since childhood. He very rarely goes out due to the anxiety it causes, but when he does he always needs me to go with him.

I am confused as to whether under 13 Planning and Following Journeys he would meet descriptor e) or f). Your guide says if you meet e) you cannot get f). He only ever goes out if a trusted person (me his carer) is with him, but he very rarely goes out at all due to the anxiety it causes him so I'm not sure which it would come under or how best to word it. As well as going to vital appointments he does sometimes go for a quiet walk in the countryside with me. On the days he feels able to go out, accompanied, he is not suffering overwhelming distress, but these days are rare.

Thanks for any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #290915 by Gordon
C

First of all, consider the majority of days on which he is affected and how

Next, on those days, if asked, could he leave the house to go somewhere provided someone was with him? If the answer is yes then consider (d) or (f), if he is unable to leave the house then it is (e).

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Careworn

More
2 weeks 22 hours ago #290926 by den1mon
Replied by den1mon on topic Agoraphobia - Planning and Following Journeys
Hi
I was awarded both mobility and overwhelming psychological distress due to agoraphobia.
I did submit a report from a counsellor and my GP confirming I am diagnosed with agoraphobia and the severe impact it has on my daily life.
I know you currently don't need to submit evidence but the assessor did grill me about it quite a bit and she referred to the evidence I supplied.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary, Careworn

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.