× Members

Universal credit debt

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #290897 by Kayla23!
Universal credit debt was created by Kayla23!
I am asking for advice please, I receive UC. They are saying my husband's employer was late submitting his wages to them and they paid me £1173.46 when I should have received £183.57 I received neither amount. The told me I had to pay back £989.37 and so I did this. I paid the lump sum straight to the UC debt recovery agent. Please bear in mind I'm mentally ill, loads of physical illnesses and disabled wheelchair user. I wasn't in my right mind when I paid the lump sump as at the time I was put into the support group and received a lump sum in back payment. A few months down the line I got another letter saying I now owe £2912.52 because I was placed in ESA support group too and received a lump sum from them. I looked at the amounts and asked citizens advice to look at the figures they said the DWP had got the amounts wrong and to ask for a mandatory reconsideration. The DWP did and refused the claim.
I then get cancer and the appeal time passes. I'm in remission now and have been chasing my 'work coach' on and off for months. She doesn't give me straight answers to any questions. I phoned the DWP several times to say about the amounts and get no where! I gave it one more try calling. I spoke to a lovely lady in Manchester and she could see straight away the mistake that they have made. She saw that I had £867 paid to me when they said it was £1173.46 and she said she would write to the person dealing with me to ask for a mandatory reconsideration again. Yet again they refused!!!!
I am so angry,they have money I paid them, I just want the remainder taken off the debt they've put me in but I can't get anywhere leaving messages on the stupid journal.
Please advise what I can do. I'm so upset it's making me ill being in this debt and them not listening to me. Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 22 hours ago #290923 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Universal credit debt
Hi Kayla23!

I am so sorry that you find yourself in this position. Unfortunately, we don't advice on debt recovery issues as it is outside the scope of the forum.

You seem to have exhausted the normal routes of trying to get someone to listen to you. One thing you should try is contacting the DWP again and see if you are down as a vulnerable person. If not, tell them you should be and push home about the cancer on top of your other illnesses. There is a special department that deals with vulnerable people and if you can get to them - they may be able to help on your behalf. If no one will put you through ask the call handler if a case manager can call you back.

The only other option I can think of is to contact your GP and see if they can do something and intervene. Obviously, it depends on your MP - but some are willing to contact the DWP and force a decent explanation out of them.

I know this is hard when you're ill and being quashed by people ignoring you. It requires energy to keep fighting them, but I don't have anything else to suggest.

I hope that you get the situation resolved.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.