× Members

Kidney donation

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #290914 by Haseya
Kidney donation was created by Haseya
Hi everyone. I was considering being a kidney donor but wondered if I would be judged and in turn have my benefits stopped? I'm AuDHD, with long term depression and anxiety. I also have fibromyalgia. I claim UC (lcwra) and pip. Donating would not be a walk in the park by any means, but I fear that they would look at my decision making and decide I can do and cope with other things I state I struggle with. I'm thinking it's not even worth taking the chance. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 22 hours ago #290922 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Kidney donation
Hi Haseya

Your benefits would not automatically stop because you donated a kidney. However, I think you are right to question how your decision to give someone else a wonderful gift could easily be misinterpreted by the DWP. The issue could come up when you have a review, and they could well decide that if you are capable of making such a huge decision, you can do it in other instances. They might argue that if you deliberately chose to have an operation for someone else you are physically fitter than you have told them.

Your question is outside the scope of this forum and I can't tell you what to do here, nor can I say with any certainty how such a decision would be viewed. Good luck with whatever you decide.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Haseya, C

More
1 week 4 days ago #291014 by den1mon
Replied by den1mon on topic Kidney donation
If you would have to be in hospital more than four weeks following the kidney donation then your benefits would stop until you are released.
This may trigger a reassessment of your entitlement.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.