× Members

Contribution ESA

More
1 month 21 hours ago #291502 by Brisey
Contribution ESA was created by Brisey
Hi all
Can you please advise.
My husband receives contribution based ESA.
We had some bad news last week and he is now officially blind he was classed as partially sighted but his condition has deteriorated and now he is severely sight impaired.
I will write to the DWP with the certificate but will they force him to apply for UC?
He is in the support group and only receives the normal amount of ESA and the allowance for being in the support group.
I still work so we do not claim carers allowance
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 19 hours ago #291505 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Contribution ESA
Hi Brisey,

Message approved and hopefully someone can advise you in relation to this.

You could in the meantime try the following link, and hopefully they'll be able to assist with this:

advicelocal.uk/find-an-adviser?gad_sourc...DEAAYASAAEgLxOPD_BwE

Regards, Chris

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brisey

More
1 month 17 hours ago #291511 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Contribution ESA
Hello Brisey,
I am sorry to hear about the deterioration in your husband's eye sight. I see no reason why this should trigger a move to UC.
You do not confirm that he is in receipt of PIP - if he is not, then you should start an application today, or at least soon as you can. That will have no impact on any of his other benefits or any possible premature migration to UC.
Best wishes to you both,
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brisey, Charlie

More
1 month 16 hours ago #291514 by Robbie
Replied by Robbie on topic Contribution ESA
If your husband receives only contributory ESA then he won't be required to apply for UC. The latter is a means tested benefit, contributions ESA isn't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
1 month 15 hours ago #291525 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Contribution ESA
B

As your husband is already in the Support Group and their condition has worsened they cannot receive higher award, sending in this certificate could easily result in his claim being reassessed so my advice would be to leave it.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: TheHud

More
1 month 10 hours ago #291533 by Brisey
Replied by Brisey on topic Contribution ESA
Thanks Gordon
I am afraid we can’t leave it as all the paperwork says we have to notify them of a change in his condition.

We don’t want to do anything wrong as we will have to notify the PIP as well.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.