We support both claimants and professionals. These are just some of the organisations who have subscribed to Benefits and Work:
- Royal College of Nursing
- Spinal Injuries Association
- Chesterfield Law Centre
- Stephenson’s Solicitors
- Birmingham Citizens Advice Bureau
- Manchester City Council Sensory Provision Team
Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - appeal tribunals
If you're appealing against a disability living allowance (DLA) decision, the odds are on your side: more than 50% of all Disability Living Allowance (DLA) appeal tribunals are successful and the odds are as high as 70% if you attend an oral appeal tribunal with a representative. Our 16 page A4 factsheet 'Appealing against a disability living allowance decision' is a valuable introduction to:
- deciding whether to appeal
- completing a GL24 appeal form
- completing the pre-hearing enquiry form
- understanding the appeal papers
- attending a disability living allowance appeal tribunal
Our more detailed 37 page A4 guide 'Support for clients with DLA and AA appeals' was written for social workers, housing workers and other support workers but is equally valuable for claimants representing themselves at DLA tribunals. As well as all the issues above, it covers:
- how to go and watch tribunals before attending yourself
- written submissions
- using commissioners decisions
- inviting witnesses
- the importance of what the claimant and their representative wear
- how the claimant should travel to the tribunal
- what happens at the tribunal
- ensuring the tribunal cannot treat a support worker as an experienced representative
- dealing with difficult tribunal members
Over 50 ways to challenge DLA and AA medical report forms are explained in The best possible ways to challenge a DLA or AA medical report. The 27 page manual includes dozens of fully referenced extracts from previously unpublished DWP training resources, obtained using the Freedom of Information Act, and dozens of sample paragraphs for written submissions.
Sample page from Support for clients with disability living allowance and attendance allowance appeals re Preparing your client.
Sample page from Support for clients with DLA and AA appeals' re Written submissions.
Existing Benefits and Work members can download all our disability living allowance appeal resources.
Free DLA tips and tactics
Have you signed up for our free seven DLA tips and free monthly newsletter yet? If not, just type your email address and first name in the box below or get more details from this link.