× Members

HEALTH ASSESSMENT ADVISORY SERVICE

More
8 years 9 months ago #138192 by whitewitch
HEALTH ASSESSMENT ADVISORY SERVICE was created by whitewitch
:ohmy: hubby has now received this today
saying he has an appointment on 7th Aug. .. is this where they decide on support or work group?
we rang straight away and asked for it to be recorded . is there anything else we should be aware of? thanks in advance for any information..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138198 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic HEALTH ASSESSMENT ADVISORY SERVICE

whitewitch wrote: :ohmy: hubby has now received this today
saying he has an appointment on 7th Aug. .. is this where they decide on support or work group?
we rang straight away and asked for it to be recorded . is there anything else we should be aware of? thanks in advance for any information..

Hi ww,

This will be an ESA face to face assessment to decide on your hubby's future entitlement to ESA.

Looking back : Here, I see that he received an ESA50 to fill in and return around 5 months ago.

The face to face will be carried out by : The Centre for Health and Disability Assessments (CHDA) (Maximus) who took over the ESA WCA Contract from ATOS on 02/03/15.

There are three possible outcomes :

1. Found fit for work, ESA payments will cease.

2. Found to have Limited Capability for Work (LCW) (Unfit for Work) and placed into The WRAG of ESA.

3. Found to have LCW and Limited Capability for Work Related Activity (LCWRA) (Unfit for Work and unfit for Work Related Activity) and placed in The Support Group (SG) of ESA.

You should also have a look at this FAQ in anticipation of the face to face :

ESA Medical – What to expect

You should be aware that how he manages the return trip to/from the Assessment Centre will be taken into account as part of the actual assessment.

He may be observed on approaching, leaving and whilst inside the centre.

Assumptions may be made by the assessor with regards to the above.

These assumptions could result in the assessor writing comments/recommendations within the ESA85 medical report which they compile and send to The DWP.

You can re-arrange a face to face once, but failure to take part in any re-arranged face to face without "Good Cause" could result in his ESA payments ceasing.

If he feels that he should be given a Home Assessment, he should contact Maximus.

They will probably insist that his G.P. Faxes them a letter supporting his need for a Home Assessment.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by bro58.

More
8 years 8 months ago #139593 by whitewitch
Replied by whitewitch on topic HEALTH ASSESSMENT ADVISORY SERVICE
:( phone call today saying they have decided that he is fit for work!!!!!!
he has to go to the job centre on Fri to claim job seekers ..
he has a doctors certificate up to November.. I take it that this is no longer valid..
how do we go about appealing their decision ??
HELP pls ..

More
8 years 8 months ago #139595 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic HEALTH ASSESSMENT ADVISORY SERVICE

whitewitch wrote: :( phone call today saying they have decided that he is fit for work!!!!!!
he has to go to the job centre on Fri to claim job seekers ..
he has a doctors certificate up to November.. I take it that this is no longer valid..
how do we go about appealing their decision ??
HELP pls ..

Sorry to hear this.

First of all there is no legal requirement for your husband to claim JSA unless you need the money, if you do then he should inform the JC+ advisor that he is challenging the Decision and he should be able to negotiate a minimum Job Search agreement.

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide for details of the process and template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report (ESA85), if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: whitewitch

More
8 years 8 months ago #139866 by whitewitch
Replied by whitewitch on topic HEALTH ASSESSMENT ADVISORY SERVICE
today we received the ESA85..

reading through it .there's quite a few things that I disagree with
first says accompanied by wife. but was outside not in the assessment ; wrong confirmed on tape that I was in the room.
says he was seated in a chair with no arms: wrong only two chairs in there one with arms and one without. I took the chair with no arms as it was eaiser for him to sit in the one with arms.
it says he sits for 20 mins before having to move : on tape states get a cup of tea puts tv on then sits/ wanders around the front room .if i'm lucky I may be able to sit for 20 max!! before the pain gets too bad.
says he can drive locally for dr's app:- explained on tape that is only 1/4 of a mile then he suffers on return home.
states he visits a friend for an hour and they don't mind him standing.. no mention of him having to walk around
states no pain on upper movements/ breath test :where as on the tape he dose say a couple of times that it hurt..
and last but not least which is really pee him off it states he is over weight . she must have been a mind reader as nothing was not even asked or checked..
our main concern is that they haven't given any lee way for the medication to find the right one
which way would u suggest to word the letter pls

More
8 years 8 months ago #139869 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic HEALTH ASSESSMENT ADVISORY SERVICE
whitewitch

To be honest the advice remains the same, you should concentrate on showing that your husband meets the criteria, I'm not saying that you should ignore the ESA85 but the Decision Maker will assume that it is accurate unless you can show there are serious errors, which from your post, there appear not to be.

If you do tackle what the assessor has said, then do so only where it is to your advantage, for example, if the assessor said he climbed the stairs when he didn't and he has no problems doing this then there is no advantage in your highlighting this to the DM.

Make sure you read and understand the Descriptors, for example for Standing and Sitting it doesn't matter whether he stood or sat or stood and sat, it is the time before he would be forced to move away from a workstation that counts.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: whitewitch

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.