× Members

ESA reassessment

More
5 years 3 months ago #225066 by Dart
ESA reassessment was created by Dart
I have a few questions about filling in the ESA 50. I have had severe bipolar disorder all my adult life and have been diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment probably related to the 100's of ECT treatments I have had over 35 years. I have been in the support group (without a f2f) since 2013 with no reassessment until now.I am still on indefinite DLA ( high rate care, low rate mobility).
If I get my Support Worker and/or Partner to fill it in, should the answers be given as "she" or "I"? I would prefer "She" as otherwise I might be seen as less cognitively impaired as the impression would be that I had filled it in myself. On the signing page do I AND my support Worker both sign it?

Both my and my Support workers' hand writting is verybad. Is it ok just to type every answer on an additional page saying "answer is on page 1 of additional pages" or something?

My partner and I save every medical document so potentially I have a lot of evidence. I don't want to appear too organised as I have mental health/cognitive diagnoses? does that make sense? Shall I just include a few of the more important/recent things?

I probably qualify under the Substantive Risk section. Do I write a separate sheet about this or include it in the initial "About your Illness and disabilities " bit? I could ask my care coordinator to back this up and perhaps say that a face2face assessment would be very bad for my health. Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #225089 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA reassessment
Dart

If they are using your words then use "I" and if it is theirs then "she", in either case explain what you have done and why.

It is perfectly OK for you to type your answers and attach them as extra pages to the ESA50, just make sure that each page has your full name and NIN at the top and that they are numbered, we recommend "page X of Y" so that it is easy to see if pages are missing. Make sure you clearly mark on the form where your answers are and on the relevant page that you are answering question X.

Attach the pages to the back of the form using a staple or make a hole in the top left corner and use a treasury tag, string or ribbon to the form. The pages need to be easily detached so that they can be scanned by the DWP.

If you qualified under the Substantial Risk rules then you really need to have up to date evidence to support your claim, these rules operate differently from the ESA Descriptors as there is no on-going acceptance of disability, you need to prove you meet the criteria each time.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #225485 by Dart
Replied by Dart on topic ESA reassessment
Dear gordon,

thanks for your reply. I remember from looking at forum questions that there is a document available on this site re asking your GP for a suitable supporting letter, listing the descriptors etc. I am unable to find it. Which member's guide is it in?

Many Thanks

More
5 years 3 months ago #225537 by Gordon
Dart

It's not something I am aware of, I would just speak to your GP to see what support they will provide.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #225932 by Dart
Replied by Dart on topic ESA reassessment
Dear Gordon,
A few questions:
1. Do I and my partner who is filling out the form HAVE to give our phone numbers? We would both much prefer written contact.
2.How important is it to do a diary
3. my care coordinator/and probably GP are supporting me on the "Substantial Risk" Section and also saying that a facetoface assessment would worsen my mental state. They are both writing this as part of their supporting letters for me to send in with the form. Ought my CCC also ring them about asking for a paper review? If so do I ask her to ring the number on the letter sent with the form (from Nottingham)?Would I need to be with her when she rings because I need to give my permission for this?
4. At what stage do I say that,if one happens, I want an assessment to be recorded?. It seems a bit odd to ask for that now as we are pressing for no face to face to occur?

Many thanks

More
5 years 3 months ago #225974 by Gordon
Dart

1. No, you don't need to supply our phone number but they may have it already, so if you don't want to be contacted by phone then you need to write to the DWP separately requesting this and explaining why.

2. If your conditions are variable then it can be quite important as it helps to explain how they change. If you have a relatively stable condition then it can still be important as it is another way of documenting your problems.

3. First, make sure that CCC and GP are aware of the criteria as quoting the wrong information can nullify their letters.

Yes, your CCC should try for a Paper Based Review bu you need to get your form in first so there is something for them to reference with the Assessment Provider.

4. Include the request with the form but I would also write to them if you receive an appointment for a face to face. You are covering all the bases so make the request even if you are pushing for a PBR.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.