× Members

Pension Credit Housing Benefit merger

• lesley
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
1 week 6 days ago #290986 by lesley
I understand that Pension Credit will have a new Housing element for pensioners.
In the Autumn Statement 'create a new housing elecment of Pension Credit to replace pensioner Housing Benefit. This was planned for April 2025, but has been delayed to 2028/29'
Housing Benefit being a legacy benefit and "managed migration" of ESA onto Universal Credit was delayed unitl 2028. Now this migration to U.C. to be brought forward. Am not too clear, is it for state pensioners on Pension Credit also or only for Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
Apologies if I have not made myself very clear, I am now 76 and finding it difficult to understand navigate all these changes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 5 days ago #290992 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Pension Credit Housing Benefit merger
Hi Lesley,
I think we are all getting out of breath trying to keep up! Housing Benefit is a legacy benefit for people of working age, and has been replaced by the Housing Element in UC. However, for people of pension age it is still Housing Benefit.
Hope that helps
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: C

• lesley
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
1 week 5 days ago #290993 by lesley
Replied by lesley on topic Pension Credit Housing Benefit merger
Thank you Catherine, I did read on Age UK that at some time there will be a "housing credit" which may not be until 2028 at the earliest, but of course that was before the powers that be announced that HB for working age claimants in UC was being brought forward.
www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/mone...-the-benefit-system/
Between you and me and the gatepost, not had much sound advice with the local Age UK. Had a bit of bad advice from them about the water rates. In fact they got it wrong and said my water rates had no discount when in fact when I did further research and applied myslef I did get the discount.
So would rather trust this site than any other. Up to the minute and more! You are all "on the ball" :-)

More
1 week 5 days ago #290996 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pension Credit Housing Benefit merger
l

This is not about the benefit but the payment system, Housing Benefit for Pensioners is paid out of the same system as Housing Benefit which as you note is being phased out, the replacement system is simply to bring payments onto a modern payment system.

If the transfer process is accelerated and there is some doubt that the DWP actually has the resources to do this, then it is likely that the move for Pension Credit claimants will move forward but my understanding is that will not have any material impact on claimants.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: lesley

• lesley
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
1 week 5 days ago #290999 by lesley
Replied by lesley on topic Pension Credit Housing Benefit merger
Thank you Gordon. I am just worried about this transfer so thanks for reassuring me. I keep imagining that it would be an excuse to reduce the financial amount that us older pensioners get with housing. I shall try not to worry in advance as it has not happened yet. I certainly do have chronic anxiety, also P.T.S.D and wake up with terrible depression, when I do manage to sleep, thinking about all the changes. Find it hard to deal with normal things in life let alone all these benefit worries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: C

More
1 week 5 days ago #291005 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Pension Credit Housing Benefit merger
Hi lesley,

I think there's thousands of us all in the same boat in relation to being worried :(

Chris

The following user(s) said Thank You: lesley, C

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.