× Members

APPEALS PROCESS FIRST STEPS.

More
12 years 6 months ago #73371 by Crazydiamond
Replied by Crazydiamond on topic Re:APPEALS PROCESS FIRST STEPS.
What your psychiatrist has told you is not strictly correct.

Most consultants will submit medical reports about their patients, but they will levy a charge which can be in excess of £300. However, if you are on a low income legal help may be available in which case a solicitor can obtain a medical report from your consultant. If you are still unable to obtain a medical report from your psychiatrist having enlisted the assistance of a solicitor, you can always ask for an independent psychiatrist to provide a report under the legal help scheme.

I will reiterate however that the burden of proof lies with the DWP to demonstrate that you fit the WRAG criteria and not the SG conditions of entitlement. If the DWP did not approach your healthcare professionals when making the decision to put you in the WRAG, this is something that this can be raised in a reconsideration/appeal, and you can instruct the decision maker to obtain the requisite evidence at this stage.

Finally, a claimant should never be placed at a financial disadvantage where the need for obtaining medical reports arises as has happened in your case, when the DWP carry out a review of your ongoing entitlement. As I mentioned earlier, the burden of proof rests with the decision making authority and not the claimant.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #73376 by article
Replied by article on topic Re:APPEALS PROCESS FIRST STEPS.
Hi crazydiamond and thankyou for your speedy concise reply.

Yes i remember him at the end of the session ie. my phsychiatrist that a private Pshychiatrist would be able to submit a report but as you say £300 plus!!.

So in my case because I havent recd either a medical nor have ATOS contacted my GP, Pshychiatrist or Psychologist I should use this to my advantage in my appeal and ask the decision makers to appraoch these people so that they recieve precise details of my medical incapacity and they then can make an informed revised decision of which froup I should be allocated to.

I wonder aswel if hostorical medical reports can be used to influence the decision makers, eg, I have a letter from my last employer 11 years back that certifies that the councils doctor after a medical and reference to past medical history found me to be unfit for employment. He actually certifid this.

Would this be of any use in my appeal or is historical evidence diregarded?.

Kind Regards A.

More
12 years 6 months ago #73382 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:APPEALS PROCESS FIRST STEPS.
Article

The DM is primarily interested in evidence that relates directly to your condition as it is now, so reports in the range 6-12 months will be given the moist weight.

That does not mean that you cannot submit evidence that is older, in fact it can often be important to establish how long you have been suffering from a condition, and whether it has deteriorated or at least, stayed the same, over that period,

The problem with reports produced by a previous employer, is that they tend to refer your ability to carry out a a particular job, or a limited number of different jobs. The DWP would argue that the WCA tests your ability to perform any job.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 6 months ago #73388 by Lavender
Replied by Lavender on topic Re:APPEALS PROCESS FIRST STEPS.
A very interesting thread. Can I just ask what the mods think I should do with regard to the level of detail on my appeal.

I sent in a lot of supportive medical evidence and I also have a copy of the Atos report and the DM report.

The main thing that I think should get me into the support group is that I have medical evidence (from 2 sources) that I can only walk up to 30 metres and not with any regularity, and not without exacerbating symptoms.

Yet the Atos report (no face to face medical) states that I am likely to be able to mobilise over 50 metres and to be able to do so repeatedly.

For other SG descriptors - reaching, lifting, cognitive function, the main issue for me is that I am unable to do so reliably, repeatedly and without exacerbating symptoms.

I want to maximise my chances at the reconsideration stage, but don't want to be accused of bringing something up that wasn't included in the initial appeal if the case goes to tribunal.

Or is it one of those things where you don't know if you have made the right decision until afterwards?

More
12 years 6 months ago #73399 by shrinathji
Replied by shrinathji on topic Re:APPEALS PROCESS FIRST STEPS.
Hi All,

Alot of really good discussion and advise has been given on this thread.

The quiery that i have is that my husband has been plced in WRAG without a medical and i firmly believe he qualifies on atleast three discriptors to be in the Support Group.

I have requested the statement of reasons etc three weeks ago and have, not surprisingly recieved nothing. Therefore, in my husbands GL24 appeal it is prooving to be quite difficult to state on what grounds we are appealing as we have no facts to go by.

Furthermore, as rightfully suggested previously on this thread, i do not want to write anything until i have recieved the requested facts. However, i do need to get this appeal in by the end of this week.

I have looked at the guides to appealing WRAG,to me it seems to be giving advise on what to say once you have recieved DWP's decision. Please correct me if i have misread or misunderstood.

Nevertheless, any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Radhika.

More
12 years 6 months ago #73402 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:APPEALS PROCESS FIRST STEPS.
radhika

It is becoming increasingly clear, that whilst a DM has to specifiy their reasons why a claimant has failed the WCA, there seems to be no requirement for them to do when they pass.

We do know that there has to be a medical report, either an ESA85 ir ESA85A, depending on whether a medical was held or not, but there may not be any other documents that are available.

Have you tried a Subject Access Request? It is unlikely that it would produce results within the timescale you are working to, but will, in theory, gove you access to everything they hold.

With regard to the GL24, you state that there are 3 Support Group descriptors that your husband should meet. It seems logical for you to concentrate on these, justifying why he meets the criteria, and where possible, providing evidence where available, or referring to evidence already submitted, when there is nothing new.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.