× Members

other members living in France re IB to ESA

More
12 years 4 months ago #78464 by cochondinde
Replied by cochondinde on topic Re:other members living in France re IB to ESA
Update:

I had my assessment earlier today. I was so stressed. The disability bay outside the building was closed due to repainting the road markings. There was a turning circle so my husband parked there and helped me in but left me to find a parking spot. The chairs were unsuitable as they didn't have arms so I was in considerable pain. We were waiting for our translator but had to go up without her. She arrived and we were called in before we had a chance to talk. The doctor wouldn't let my husband in as only 2 people were allowed so I was distressed by this. The doctor didn't speak a word of English. It felt rushed as there was someone else waiting to see the doctor. Questions were asked and although the doctor wrote down replies to some, she didn't write every response down so I don't see how she can remember what I said. She asked why does she have to complete the form. I can't remember what it was but it wasn't an ESA85A or whatever. She asked why will I need an assessment every 6 months. I think she was puzzled by the system. It was difficult to explain as this is the first time I've gone through this. I gave her a copy of a letter of support by my GP and consultant. She is going to speak with my consultant but she said there is no way I am capable of working. Lets see first what the DM decides!!!
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 4 months ago #78468 by Worried
Hi,

I am sorry you had such a stressfull day.
There was no parking available either the day I had my assessment but we managed to do the same as you and I waited for my other half to come. The doctor did offer for us both to go into the assessment but I thought it was better for me to be byself, god only knows why ??? over stressed I think!!. Did your Doctor have the ESA 50 form you had filled out?
The best thing to do now is forget about it for the remained of the evening.
It is out of our control no matter what happens. My Assessment dotor also said
I could not work but I think it is all down to England and we will have to appeal
if necessary.
More
12 years 4 months ago #78472 by cochondinde
Thanks Worried. My ESA50 was there but of course it is all in English, apart from the GP's input but the DWP said her comments are too general, so she won't understand any of it. I don't go out by myself as my husband has to take me. I didn't realise just how dependant I am on him for emotional support. I felt like a child being left at school for the first time. I hope you hear soon so please let me know how you get on.
  • Landlord
12 years 4 months ago #78478 by Landlord
Replied by Landlord on topic Re:other members living in France re IB to ESA
Sorry to hear of your experience cochondinde, the whole experience sounded awful, and no better than if the medical was carried out in the UK. I was feeling reasonably assured after reading Worried's report of his/her medical in the fact that the doctor spoke English, but after reading your account I think I have slipped back into panic mode.I know it is our choice living here in France and we should expect to have to face the French language, but when it is so important to try and convey the correct information to the French doctor who doesn't speak English it is doubly hard. I didn't like the fact only one other person was allowed into the medical with you, as obviously it would have had to be the translator not your husband/carer, who should have been there for moral and physical support for you.

Could you tell me if the doctor actually examined you, or simply asked you questions about your conditions.

We are just about ready to send back my wife's ESAN50 form which has taken us nearly 3 weeks to complete in a manner we feel reasonably happy with, although it seems everybody living outside the UK seems to be sent for a medical irrespective as to what you have put on your form, and extra evidence you have provided. Whilst our French doctor has listed all my wife's problems, and mentioned lack of mobility and pain, I do not feel over confident this will be enough to avoid a medical.

Have an extra glass of wine tonight, and try to forget the experience as Worried suggested!
More
12 years 4 months ago #78490 by Worried
Hi Landlord,
Try not to panic. The doctor I had spoke very good english and she did no expect me to speak french. She looked at me but did not examine me as such. I think in hindsight I should have taken my other half into the meeting but i paniced. The Doctor read the copy of the extra information I had has sent to England which she had not received. She asked me if they had a copy of it. I think everyone is being send for the medical unless you are very lucky. The dr did ask me some questions regarding how my illness affected my everyday life but did pay attention to what my local dr had written. We will just have to wait and see. I did not feel I was being watched as there were other french people there going through the same senario with other doctors. I probably stood out not being French. She filled in all her answers in French which were hand written. Hope this helps.
More
12 years 4 months ago #78518 by cochondinde
Thanks Landlord, I would love to have a glass of wine but unfortunately ever since my accident I also get cluster headaches that don't respond to medication and wine makes them worse.

The doctor did examine me today. She showed me how she wanted me to sit on the examining table but I asked her to lower it even more as I need to sit with my feet on the floor. She asked me to sit up straight but I can't due to increased pain when I try. She examined my shoulders and sat behind me and tried to twist my body from side to side. My translator said she could see that I was in pain by the expression on my face when the doctor examined my shoulders. When we left she told me if it hurts me then I should let the doctor hear that it hurts as the doctor won't know due to her not being able to see my face.

It was apparent that this was the first time the doctor had carried out one of these assessments so by the time I need to go again she should have it down to a fine art, depending on how many more she does in the meantime. So, me trying to be positive, things can only get better, or so the song goes.

Has your doctor explained how your wife's problems, lack of mobility and pain affects her activities of daily living? I ask this because the DWP said that my GP's comments were too general so I went back and told her what I'd been told. She wrote a letter while we were in her office and she asked me specific questions including how far can I walk without pain.

I wish your wife and yourself all the best and hope you have a positive experience.
Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.