× Members

ESA contributions based & NI contributions.

More
9 years 8 months ago #124334 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA contributions based & NI contributions.
Daffodil

Just to be clear.

Contributions during the Tax Year ending April 2014 will not be usable until the beginning of the calendar year 2015, this includes the period October 2013 to 5 April 2014.

Contributions paid between 6 April and June 2014 will be in the Tax Year ending April 2015 and will not be usable until 2016.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #124340 by Daffodil
Replied by Daffodil on topic ESA contributions based & NI contributions.
Gordon

Again, I thank you. Am now much clearer. You wouldn't believe the amount of searching for this information I have done recently.

I know it isn't rocket science but some websites can give such confusing and sometimes conflicting information. It can be a minefield for many, such as me ! !

Just one more question if I may.

Given my circumstances as in previous posts, is it possible to put in an ESA(CB) claim now (within 3 months of sick note start date of mid June), and be eligible for NI credits, even though wouldn't qualify for payments until January 2015.

I ask this because I am unable to claim JSA due to illness.

Am in process of PIP claim. Have assessment mid September. Was going to wait to claim ESA for outcome of that but doing so may put me out of time to submit current sick note.

Thank you once more for your help.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

More
9 years 7 months ago #124346 by Gordon
Daffodil

I am not sure that you would qualify but could be wrong!

There are two issues associated with ESA and related benefits that a claimant needs to tackle, eligibility for the benefit and entitlement to payment, NI Credits are usually paid when a claimant has eligibility for ESA but no entitlement to payment, the two typical scenarios for ESA(CB) are (i) payment is prevented due to the claimant receiving a pension which after the disregard exceeds twice the ESA payment, or (ii) payment has been stopped because of the 365 day rule.

Your problem is that you do not have eligibility in the first place as you do not meet the Contribution Conditions, even if this could be ignored, as far as I am aware NI Credits are only payable if you have Limited Capability for Work, this may still require you to complete an ESA50 and attend a face to face.

I am not 100% certain of the above so it is still worth you checking, but I would be surprised (pleasantly) if I was wrong.

You have not mentioned Income Related ESA, do you not meet the associated means test for household income, assets and savings and any hours that a partner works?

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 7 months ago #124360 by Daffodil
Gordon

I take your point. Thank you.

I'm not really bothered about the NI credits as already have sufficient for state pension.

I was just trying to ensure I could submit current sick note as the start of the ESA(CB) claim (mid June), irrespective of claiming any money/credits.

I think what I'm trying to be clear on is whether I will have a gap in my NI contributions record if I do nothing as from June 2014 until any possible ESA claim.

Just to answer your question regarding ESA(IR). Without going into detail, as things stand now I would not qualify but I possibly would qualify early next year, due to a change in my personal circumstances.

If I put a claim in now for ESA(CB only) and it is refused, can I, in January 2015, apply again for either CB or Income Related.
Or is there a waiting period between claims, which would make it sensible for me to wait until I could possibly be eligible for ESA(IR).

I do hope I've made myself clear but please say if I've missed something obvious.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #124362 by Gordon
Daffodil

NI Credits are not the same as NI Contributions, they only count towards a full State Pension, they can be used in part for a claim of ESA(CB) but you will still need to have sufficient NI Conts to be eligible.

There are two Contribution Conditions, the first can only be met by NI Conts (minimum of 26 weeks of NICs in one of the two years), the second can be met by NI Conts or Credits or a combination of the two (50 weeks in both years).

There are some limited exceptions to both conditions.

If your claim is rejected then there is no time limit on making a new claim.

Gordon

Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

More
9 years 7 months ago #124367 by Daffodil
Gordon

Sorry, got my credits and contributions muddled up.

I do have 35 years contributions for state pension, according to last forecast, unless they change the goalposts of course !

I also just scrape by regarding the minimum of 26 weeks of NICs to be eligible for ESA(CB) in Jan 2015.

Will give some thought to applying now or early in new year.

In the meantime I do appreciate your help and no doubt will be back asking questions again soon.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.