× Members

Can't find anyone to go with me to assessment

More
8 years 2 months ago #150300 by shelam
Hi Bea

Have you tried 'Turn2Us' - they give advice on benefits and grants and other services available. Might be worth contacting them if you haven't managed to sort out your problem yet.

Don't know how old you are, but I think AgeUK will help with a lot of situations that aren't actually age-related. Give them a try too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonfly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #150407 by dragonfly
Replied by dragonfly on topic Can't find anyone to go with me to assessment
Hi,
Sorry about replying late but I've been trying all the suggestions given to me and thanks to everyone who has contributed.
Unfortunately, I can't afford to pay for a care worker and some of the services have a detailed assessment to do before they can offer help.
A few local disability groups I've contacted either don't offer advocacy or have had their funding cut.
I'm waiting to hear from the local MIND group and another local group but I'm starting to really panic now as I've only got four days to find someone!

My last resort would be my husband but we are separated and in the process of getting divorced. We both still live in the same house but not as a couple. Obviously, he is extremely reluctant to help and I think it would go against my claim as they might question why an estranged partner is helping me by attending this assessment.

It's all so stressful and it's looking increasingly like I'll have to go alone :(

More
8 years 2 months ago #150418 by Gordon
Bea

There may be other reasons not to use your (ex) husband, but it will not impact on your assessment and the result if he attends to support you.

The other thing you can try is an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county and "voluntary services" with your postcode and town.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 months ago #150434 by dragonfly
Thanks Gordon, it's reassuring to know that if he does have to go with me, it wont affect my claim.
Now all i have to do is try and persuade him!

More
8 years 2 months ago #150492 by dragonfly
I've spoken to my almost ex-husband and he has reluctantly agreed to accompany me but he asked me a few questions about what will be expected of him.

Will he be required to give any information about himself and our living arrangements?

If he doesn't say anything to the contrary, will they take that as a sign that he agrees with everything I say?

If he does say anything, will they make a note of it?

Will he be expected to contribute in any way to the assessment?

I think he's worried that our relationship might be put into question as we still live in the same house even though one of the reasons I've had to claim ESA is because of the breakdown of our marriage.

I told him what you had said Gordon about it not affecting the outcome of the assessment but I told him I'd ask on here to put his mind at rest.

More
8 years 2 months ago #150498 by Gordon

Bea wrote: I've spoken to my almost ex-husband and he has reluctantly agreed to accompany me but he asked me a few questions about what will be expected of him.

Will he be required to give any information about himself and our living arrangements?

They will ask who he is, but there is no reason for them to ask for additional information

If he doesn't say anything to the contrary, will they take that as a sign that he agrees with everything I say?

I think that is a reasonable assumption

If he does say anything, will they make a note of it?

Yes they should

Will he be expected to contribute in any way to the assessment?

If he doesn't say anything during the assessment he may be asked if he has any comments at the end, but this is not guaranteed

I think he's worried that our relationship might be put into question as we still live in the same house even though one of the reasons I've had to claim ESA is because of the breakdown of our marriage.

It's your assessment and the assessor will only be interested in your problems, they are only interested in your entitlement to PIP, they have nothing to do with ESA.

I told him what you had said Gordon about it not affecting the outcome of the assessment but I told him I'd ask on here to put his mind at rest.

No problem

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.