× Members

New Member Asking A Question

More
7 years 2 months ago #183551 by kah22
New Member Asking A Question was created by kah22
My girlfriend has bipolar and is been assessed for the DLA/PIP changeover. She received her letter about a week back. I joined Benefits and Work to best understand how to fill in the form

I'm reading a judgement that 'claimants with mental health conditions such as severe anxiety have a right to claim even the higher rate of PIP for help with going outdoors,' but that the government rushed to shut down that ruling and the ew regulation will take place from 16 March

My question is: will GF be assessed under the old rule or does she have to return the form before March 16 to be assessed under the judges ruling. Should this be mentioned in her application

In very general terms how are people with bipolar fairing out over the change to PIP?

I've just started using your site but find the forum somewhat confusing - there only seems to be the one

Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #183585 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic New Member Asking A Question
Kevin

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I'm afraid the situation is somewhat chaotic at the moment.

As her claim started before the changes will be made, strictly she should not be affected by them, however, as of last Friday, we have not seen the DWP update their guidance for the Going Out activity to take account of the UTT judgement, so I'm not expecting claimants awaiting a Decision to see it taken into account.

There is also the issue of claimants actually showing they meet the criteria covered by this judgment, it opens the door for them but if you will pardon the phrase, does not actually invite anybody to enter. It is entirely down to the claimant to show that their mental health issues prevent them from following (navigating) a route.

So if she thinks that she meets the criteria then she must explain detail why this is the case.

This is likely a matter that can only be contested at appeal.

Yes there is only one forum, we do not operate as most "forums" would, there are several reasons for this; we have a lot of vulnerable members so all posts are moderated and we handle 4 or 5 times the volume of posts that other benefit sites do, so the Moderators stick to answering questions and providing support so we don't see a lot of conversations in the forum.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 2 months ago #183595 by ty
Replied by ty on topic New Member Asking A Question
and I for one appreciate that it is this type of forum.
ask a question, get an informed answer. job done.

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.