× Members

ESA (Income Related) and Savings

More
6 years 6 months ago #199440 by Roy
Hi all, I am in receipt of ESA (Income Related) and am in the support group. BTW, thanks B&W for the guides, without them I don't think I would have received this level of ESA. My question is this. I am currently in receipt of housing and council tax benefit. My housing benefit is paid at the local shared rate (£54 p.w.) which is not typical of any property in my home area. This does not meet my rent by any means and so I end up spending money on rent that needs to spent elsewhere. My landlord is continually after rent rises which I cannot afford. I have moved far too often for my own good and it has had negative effects on both my physical and mental health. Now though, under the new pension arrangements, I have the opportunity to cash in my personal pension and will have enough money to buy somewhere to live. I won't have much in the way of savings left afterwards. I realise that my benefit payments will stop, but does my claim? If the claim continues, at what point can I restart my claim? Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #199457 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA (Income Related) and Savings
Roy

We can't give detailed financial advice on the forum, you really need to get face to face advice before making a decision.

If your ESA does stop because you are over the savings limit, then it is just a suspension of payments and you claim remains open and payments can be restarted once you are under the £16,000 again.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.