× Members

PIP dressing

More
6 years 3 months ago #205639 by Wheelynice
PIP dressing was created by Wheelynice
As I'm wheelchair dependent with a customised seating system it it very difficult to get coats, cardigans on and off. I have some restrictions in my arms and hands but don't use any dressing aids as they wouldn't help me or make dressing quicker. The only thing that would is assistance. As I don't have a care package, would this stop me getting higher points for needing assistance?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #205667 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP dressing
Wheelynice

Playing Devil's Advocate, your post talks about problems you have when you are in your chair, do you have these problems when you are not?

Not having a care package should not have any significant effect on your meeting the PIP criteria, but you will need to provide detailed explanations of your problems, try and include examples of your difficulties and if you have evidence that directly relates to an activity then include this. For example; the DWP will expect you to have problems with your shoulders. arms and hands if you have difficulties with Dressing and Undressing your upper body.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 3 months ago #205781 by Wheelynice
Replied by Wheelynice on topic PIP dressing
I'm unable to sit upright unsupported out of my wheelchair.My condition affects upper and lower body. Both arms are affected but the left side is weaker. Also had tendonitis in shoulder. I'm assuming upper body also includes spinal muscles and posture control. The other thing is without the upper body support it then affects all function with using arms as well and posture control. The only thing that would make it quicker is if I had help as it takes me 2 hours to get showered and dressed in all. I have used the guides but my relative's assessment gained low points in each area despite explanations and examples. I'm struggling to word things any more clearly. V hard as I just do what I can to try and stay independent as it so important for me to keep hold of it. As it's a lifelong disability from childhood you just do what you do and adapt as best as you can. Just feel that trying to be independent means penalising me on points. It's not easy at all to keep myself doing things and I could just give up and let someone else do it... As it would be quicker, less effortful and would conserve energy...but.... I want to keep hold of my independence..

More
6 years 3 months ago #205800 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP dressing
Wheelynice

Two hours to wash and dress should be seen as excessive and falling under the "reasonable time" requirement, I would recommend that you break each activity down into smaller tasks and try and explain the time each takes and why, so as an example; how long does it take to do up a button and why does it take this long.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.