× Members

Lawd's Topic

• lisa Weger-Dennis
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #205706 by lisa Weger-Dennis
Lawd's Topic was created by lisa Weger-Dennis
Hi Gordon,
I received a letter from the DWP saying I have to change from DLA to PIP by 3 February 2018. I called them last week to ask the process as it said as long as I called and told them I am willing to change to PIP, that my DLA with tick over until I get a decision regarding PIP.

I am very confused about this as my physical and mental health have deteriorated over the years, and still have fainting/ lose of consciousness episodes and no diagnosis. I was given a letter in 2011-12 that said that these changes that were coming into effect at the time, i.e. PIP that was being rolled out, I wouldn't have to change over.

I live in Camden and at one point in 2014 they tried to get me on PIP 2013-14. I was awarded money and had to hire my own carer, It was a nightmare, it didn't work due to my physical needs. I ended up being taken off it and went through Camden Council for care given by MiHome. I had a exemption letter which I showed to my Camden social worker back at the time, I was shortly after taken off PIP?

I am curious and would like to know if this is a random act who they choose? I received a letter saying I am Exempt from changes to DLA about 2011-2012. I was told by Lukhvinder Khuman from the now defunct DISC, disability service in Camden, Not To lose on pain of defeat because tI was about important dates that DLA couldn't be changed to those in receipt before the New Law came in changing to PIP and any new claimants would now be on PIP. I worked with him for 3 years and trusted his judgement. He told me to keep it when they were closed down in 2013.

I know that laws keep changing day by day to suit the government, but I wanted to check if I can challenge them on this change and the timing of it. I just moved back to Camden after being moved to Islington, under a Duty of Care to Camden for 2 years. I just moved back into a council property after being on a list since 2005, living in communal and then private reinvented when I became ill and underwent chemo treatment and other operations. I have been trying to get support from a Camden social worker after being abandoned once I moved into the borough of Camden in a council property in June 2017. I know that I will not get the support I need as I have been waiting for my social worker to make a referral for disabled occupational therapist since June so I can bath, etc. as they pulled all my care away from 12 hours to 0 once moving out of Islington, back into Camden. I am have had some support from Age UK and my last visit with Alice from the British Red Cross is this coming Friday 2 Feb, who will try to help me call the DWP to change formally from DLA to PIP.

I guess my question is, do you know of an exemption law that was dated between 2001-2013 that would exempt people that were on DLA prior to this new PIP law that has been rolling out since 2013? I am not one to believe everything I read in the news and I know I have used this forum before to help others with their changes from Work groups ESA to support group ESA. They were thrown off the support group during chemotherapy treatment and because I used this forum, I helped them to get back on Support ESA and then also get them a PIP reward. That was because they had never claimed or been awarded DLA before.

I am frightened of the process for myself. I am good at helping others, but when it comes to myself I get overwhelmed, anxious and black out. I am seeking some advice before I see Alice from British Red Cross this Friday. I know you won't be in until tomorrow, Thursday. I hope this makes sense. You probably are extremely busy, but I appeal to you if you have any knowledge about how they pick and choose, can I use the letter of the law I have (I will find it) and as I feel I have to do so by Friday, is there anyway to appeal being taken off DLA?

Thank you for your time and patience. I look forward to hearing back from you at your earliest possible convenience.
Kind regards
Lisa
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #205733 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Lawd's Topic
Lawd

I have had to move your post to it's own topic, you replied to an informational message in the forum rather than creating your own topic!

I'm afraid I am not aware of any exemption that would stop a claimant be asked to move from DLA to PIP, there is nothing in the PIP Transfer legislation other than the age restrictions and whether their DLA claim is currently being reassessed,

I am afraid you must participate in the process and meet the required deadlines, if you do not then there is a very good chance that your PIP Claim will be terminated and as a result, your DLA award as well.

Please try and get help with completing the process, do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

You should also have a look at our PIP Claim guide that explains the process and the criteria that you will need to meet for an award.

If you have further questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.