× Members

Inheritance, capital and ESA question.

More
6 years 2 months ago #207098 by jmaok
Replied by jmaok on topic Inheritance, capital and ESA question.
One final question, as I always remember something at a later date, should I send proof of the inheritance payment. Or just leave it with the cover note, and let them contact me if they require further info?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #207116 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Inheritance, capital and ESA question.

jmaok wrote: One final question, as I always remember something at a later date, should I send proof of the inheritance payment. Or just leave it with the cover note, and let them contact me if they require further info?

Thanks.

I would wait and see what they ask for, they may request things like bank statements as well.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 2 months ago #207133 by cyclops
Replied by cyclops on topic Inheritance, capital and ESA question.
My initial reaction is that you need someone to help you go over all the figures with you:
1) There is capital disregard for arrears of means tested benefit. for a year ( indefinitely if over £5K).
2) Don't forget any outstanding debts you have, pay and declare them in your letter. Check that there are no outstanding debts due from the estate.
3) There is something called the reducing capital rule which is too complicated to describe here, but can go in your favour.
4) You can spend some money for example on disabled aids or household equipment repairs to your house. you should be careful not to give them an excuse to accuse you of abandoning your resources.
5) the best source of information is the Advice for Decision Makers on the You Gov website.
6) be clear about you have to say before you go to the DWP, get expert benefits advice but don't delay telling the DWP too much.
7) If you were born before December 1953 check your pension credit age.
Good Luck. It is more complicated than we think and can't be done off the top of our heads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: angel*1

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.