× Members

Too ill to travel to assessment centre.

More
6 years 1 month ago #209429 by LKing1223
Too ill to travel to assessment centre. was created by LKing1223
Hi, so long story short I am too to travel to the nearest assessment centre and CHDA refuse to give me a home visit. (I explained I was unable to travel in the form and sent then a Dr note about it when I got my first appointment).

I contacted my MP last week and got an update from the caseworker yesterday, which can be summarised as we’ve contacted the DWP but right now your appointment still stands and don’t get your hopes up.

So with my appointment less than a week away, I am faced with the very real possibility that I will be refusing to go to the appointment, as it will significantly damage my health.

I understand I have the chance to argue good reason for not attending my assessment, will this go to the same people who make the home assessment decisions? As they have not listened to me so far I don’t hold out much hope that anything I say will change their mind.

How long after this, if they still don’t agree, will my benefit stop? I’m on ESA.

Then I guess my only option is an appeal.

Thank you for all your help,
L

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #209463 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Too ill to travel to assessment centre.
lme

It is the DWP that will decide whether you have Good Cause for not attending an assessment at the CHDA's offices.

Whilst the DWP will not interfere in the assessment process at this stage, it would not hurt for you to contact them and make it clear that you cannot attend due to your health problems, it will help with your arguments to them if in fact you are unable to do so.

Trying to find a way around this, would a taxi to and from the assessment centre allow you to travel? Would having someone with you make a difference?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: LKing1223

More
6 years 1 month ago #209478 by LKing1223
Replied by LKing1223 on topic Too ill to travel to assessment centre.

Gordon wrote: lme

It is the DWP that will decide whether you have Good Cause for not attending an assessment at the CHDA's offices.

Whilst the DWP will not interfere in the assessment process at this stage, it would not hurt for you to contact them and make it clear that you cannot attend due to your health problems, it will help with your arguments to them if in fact you are unable to do so.

Trying to find a way around this, would a taxi to and from the assessment centre allow you to travel? Would having someone with you make a difference?

Gordon

No the journey is too far for a taxi to make any difference, and I would not attend an assessment alone. I have in the past had a home assessment and made sure someone was with me.

It is good to hear that the DWP not CHDA decide about good cause for missing an assessment, at least it will be someone new.

More
5 years 11 months ago #212813 by LKing1223
Replied by LKing1223 on topic Too ill to travel to assessment centre.
I just wanted to post an update for anyone in a similar situation who finds this thread and wondered what happened.

I sent off a letter about why I didn't attend my assessment, it was very long - full of examples of how difficult much shorter journeys make me, using my symptom diary to show the lasting effects. I tried to explain that I am almost housebound and I also included a copy of the original fax from my doctor asking for a home assessment .

It took a while to get a decision but the decision maker agreed that I had good reason for not attending. The letter says I will soon receive a new appointment for a new assessment - which I hope will this time be a home visit - but I will wait and see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.