× Members

Tell PIP about change or wait for AR1?

More
5 years 8 months ago #216689 by Sam
Replied by Sam on topic Tell PIP about change or wait for AR1?
Hi Everyone

I'm sorry to bring this up again, especially after Gordon's advice.

As explained, I'm due to receive an AR1 in November, 1 year before my award ends. When I was awarded in 2016 I was a point or 2 off high rate for both components.

I now have 3 excellent Doctor letters, from 3 different doctors. The letters run through the PIP descriptors precisely e.g. Can't cook, can't dress upper body walking limited to 15-20 metres etc.

I spoke to a charity who insisted I must inform them that I now have an additional diagnosis, and my conditions have got worse. The letters also state my conditions are incurable.

Personally, I'd rather wait for the AR1 and include my new evidence plus a statement going through each descriptor explaining how it's got worse. My Doctors have also strongly insisted a paper assessment be done and if a face to face is required, a home visit is a must, as I can be a danger to myself or others in an assessment setting, having to explain my past and difficulties etc.

My anxiety is will the DWP definitely not penalise me for not informing them of a change in circumstances now? Will they suspend my PIP and say I should have told them in July when the additional diagnosis was given?

I have a lot going on right Now, I'm in the middle of moving to a disabled friendly property as the local authority awarded me medical points based on these same letters. I'm just so afraid of losing my pip as it enables me to parent my children with support and lead some degree of normal life.

I'm still learning how my new diagnosis effects me, and it's not good. So the having the diagnosis for 3 months thing will surely work in my favour?

I know nothing is guaranteed. And the best I can hope for is half a chance. I just want to be sure once and for all that if I decide to wait for the AR1 and submit a mountain of evidence it won't put me into trouble for failing to notify them. Or do I call for a change of circumstances Now? Then if I lose my PIP now I lose my new flat. I just want to do the right thing, AR1 feels better as it gives me more room to submit and write things my way. If that helps?

So sorry if I'm coming across as annoying. But PIP gives me so much freedom even at standard rate. I'm trying to go for higher rate now as my conditions certainly warrant it, especially the way it's impacted me and my quality of life.

Thanks Again

Sam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #216694 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Tell PIP about change or wait for AR1?
Sam

I can't tell you that you do not need to report a change in your conditions but the DWP are usually not that bothered if claimants do not do so when their conditions have worsened, after all. only they suffer as a result. Nor will it have any major impact at the reassessment of your claim, they just won't backdate any increased award.

Also, a deterioration in your conditions does not always mean that you will receive an increased award, the Descriptors for Daily Living do not linearly increase in severity, they do so by adding in extra criteria, criteria that you might not actually meet, despite your change.

So I would first have a good look at the PIP Claim guide to see whether you would reasonably score the extra points that you need for a higher award.

If you do then you should consider the option of the reporting a Change but be aware, doing this will trigger a full reassessment of your claim, a new PIP2 and almost certainly a face to face assessment, the new Decision that will result will supersede your existing award, whatever that Decision is.

Or you can wait until your award is assessed as normal by the DWP and report the changes then, in detail on the AR1 I would expect you to be sent.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.