× Members

Moving & UC

More
5 years 8 months ago #216953 by chafur47
Moving & UC was created by chafur47
I moved to Borough X in September 2016, retained my HB, ESA Support Group with disability premiums on going. Borough X started rolling out UC a few months later in December 2016.

It is projected that everybody including those on ESA Support Group, HB, will be on UC by 2019 (in Borough X), though reading contradictory articles.

I must move out asap for health reasons. Question 1. If I move within the same Borough X , which started rolling out UC in 2016, , will I retain HB, ESA Support Group & disability premiums?

Question 2. If I move out of Borough X to Borough Y which rolled out UC, is it correct that when I apply for UC I will loose my ESA Support Group disability premiums?

Can I apply for UC to Borough Y before moving to there (full UC rolled out in Borough Y) a month before moving there to avoid hardships, whilst still claiming HB ESA in Borough X (am not on UC yet)? In a nutshell, start UC claim process before moving to Borough Y but retain my HB & ESA where am living presently till I physically move?

Will I be I be re-assessed for UC sick component similar to ESA assessment & can this be done at home?

Will I need a sick note when applying for UC & send my medical evidence with it?

Is there a Guideline for assessors that defines who qualifies for the component that excludes having to look for work, have a work coach, qualifies as too sick to look for work & awarded the LCWRA? Name of doc?

Read that if vulnerable UC could take three months to come through. How long does it take for the LCWRA Component to come through and should it be backdated from the date of the application? It is not clear from what I read.

Is there any way at all to avoid financial hardshps whilst waiting for UC to come through?

Finally, will moving on to UC even if on the LCWRA, amount to less overall total in benefits excluding HB?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #216993 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Moving & UC
chafur

First, it is not intended that everybody will be on UC by 2019, this is the date, at the moment, that the transfer process will begin. It is going to take many years for the process to complete and likely many more than the DWP envisage given there past efforts.

If you move within the same Local Authority then this should not require a claim for UC as no new claim for HB needs to be made.

If you move to a new Local Authority where UC is Full Service then you will need to make a claim for UC in order to receive Housing Benefit, this will also result in the transfer of any ESA(IR) payments to UC, at this time this will also mean your losing any Premiums you receive with your ESA. However, there are changes being made to the UC legislation that should allow you to receive the Severe Disability Premium at least, although I am not sure how this will be done at the moment.

As far as I am aware you can make a pre-emptive claim for Housing Benefit, HB is a means-tested benefit so you can only receive HB for the property that you are living in but it is worth your asking the question.

If you do have to claim UC then your existing ESA award should be transferred to UC automatically, however, this process appears to be a manual one so there may be a period where you might need to provide Fit Notes, doing so should exempt you from having to look for work.

As your existing award should be transferred there should be no 3-month wait but you will go from weekly/fortnightly payments to monthly payments and it usually takes UC 5 weeks to go into payment, you can request an advance but this is repayable.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 5 months ago #223171 by chafur47
Replied by chafur47 on topic Moving & UC
Thank you, Gordon. :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.