× Members

ESA Stopped

More
5 years 6 months ago #219169 by jaydon
ESA Stopped was created by jaydon
Hello,

I am receiving contribution based ESA and I am
In the Support Group. I wrote to them a month or so ago to tell them that I have been awarded my occupational pension on the grounds of ill health and asked them what information they required. I recently received a form to complete and the a letter stating they have stopped my ESA - that they cannot pay it from September 26th. Are they supposed to stop it completely? I am aware of the £85 disregard and how they calculate how much they will reduce the ESA depending on my weekly pension. Are they supposed to stop it without prior warning while they assess this?

Many thanks for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #219174 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Stopped
jaydon

Has your ESA been stopped or suspended, there is a world of difference between the two!

It is not unusual for the DWP to suspend payments until they have had a chance to review the information, this is to prevent a potentially recoverable overpayment of the claimant's benefit.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 6 months ago #219178 by katel
Replied by katel on topic ESA Stopped
Hi Jadon,

I can't remember the year but I know that ESA contribution based became affected by any private pension after a certain date it was years ago though because it happened my friend. Before this date, those already receiving their occ pension were not affected. However, if a some stage I was to be denied ESA and had to apply again, my occ pension would be taken into account where currently i fall under the old rule.

More
5 years 6 months ago #219181 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Stopped

katel wrote: Hi Jadon,

I can't remember the year but I know that ESA contribution based became affected by any private pension after a certain date it was years ago though because it happened my friend. Before this date, those already receiving their occ pension were not affected. However, if a some stage I was to be denied ESA and had to apply again, my occ pension would be taken into account where currently i fall under the old rule.

There is no such rule under ESA, what you are referring to is a rule for Incapacity Benefit which was carried forward into ESA solely for those IB claimants who were transferred across to ESA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 6 months ago #219193 by jaydon
Replied by jaydon on topic ESA Stopped
Hi Gordon,

That’s a good question, but I don’t actually know the answer. The letter states that they have reviewed my ESA after a recent change. It then tells me about the dates that I have already been receiving it and then there is on sentence on its on stating ‘We cannot pay you ESA from September 27th 2018.”

There is no elaboration or explalnation.

I received the letter after this date.

More
5 years 6 months ago #219194 by jaydon
Replied by jaydon on topic ESA Stopped
I’ll have to call them to ask them to clarify.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.