× Members

Carers Allowance whilst appealing

More
5 years 7 months ago #219452 by micksville
Carers Allowance whilst appealing was created by micksville
Hi, I am trying to advise a close friend of mine who is a carer for his brother.What are the rules for claiming carers allowance for someone who has failed their DLA to PIP medical. The person in question is planning to appeal but I am trying to ascertain whether it is possible for him to continue claiming carers allowance for his brother whilst that appeal is pending. Any help much appreciated as I can't seem to find the relevant answers in the appeals section. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #219463 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Carers Allowance whilst appealing
micksville

I'm afraid the CA is only payable if there is an enabling award in place.

In theory, it is possible to claim Universal Credit as a Carer and to receive a Carers element for providing substantial care but I am struggling to find any documentation on this and I know of nobody who is actually doing this. I would not go down this route without getting face to face advice first.

If the caree overturns the Decision and receives a PIP Daily Living award then a new claim for CA can be made backdated to the date of the PIP award, providing they can show that the caring was still provided to the necessary 35 hours a week and that their income did not preclude payment of the CA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: micksville

More
5 years 7 months ago #219465 by micksville
Replied by micksville on topic Carers Allowance whilst appealing
OK Thanks Gordon....His brother is on ESA the UC bandwagon hasn't reached their region yet. I think he was hoping he could still claim interim CA payments whilst appeal was ongoing but it seems not Thanks anyway.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.