× Members

ESA revised assessment

More
5 years 5 months ago #221766 by thisandthat
ESA revised assessment was created by thisandthat
So, on the day I get my PIP appeal decision in the post with successfully overturning the DWP, I get a second letter from the DWP informing me that I have a new revised ESA venue to attend.( they really don’t like the thought of a moments break from them or happiness do they)
I went to attend a scheduled review in office in my home town in August this year. The offices for ESA are on the 2nd floor, so I had to use the lift. The lift got stuck between floors for 25 minutes which was an horrendous experience. Anyone with anxiety problems and claustrophobic issues will know it would be your worse nightmare! Any way the appointment then to far out of time, and I was told that as I couldn’t use the stairs very well , I would be a liability in an emergency, so it was all cancelled. ( why would such offices be on the 2nd floor, given some people need to use a lift?, and if the lift had of worked, then what in the event of a fire)
Anyway I had a new appointment today, but it is now in Bristol, and I have no way of sitting in a car for an hour to get there, esppesially in rush hour for a 9am appointment.
So my question is do you think it is reasonable for me to ask for the appointment to be held in my hometown again, but maybe on the 1st floor, in one of the job centre plus offices? This would be so much easier for me, and so much less painful as it is a 5 minute journey into town.
Any thoughts would greatly appreciated as always.
Regards Jonathan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #221773 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA revised assessment
Jonathan

I think it is a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act, you should mention this when you talk to your JC+ advisor, however, Health & Safety will always trump the EA so you need to have a backup plan, would they be willing to hold the meeting over the phone.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 5 months ago #221783 by thisandthat
Replied by thisandthat on topic ESA revised assessment
Hi Gordon,
I don’t have a JC+ advisor, I am currently receiving ESA in the support group. What I meant was that on the first floor is the job centre plus, with side offices and easy exit points to cover their HSE concerns regarding my mobility. The ESA assessment offices are on the 2nd floor, of which they won’t let me use now. ( although in 2013 I was in the same situation, but the lift didn’t break down then, but I still would have had issues using stairs getting out in a hurry)
The phone call may be a good possibility, however I am sure they would want to carry out a medical / physical examination. They had my ESA review returned last December, just seems such a long time ago, that I thought after the August failed attempt, the DWP reassessed my claim on the papers. I guess I was wrong, but I will contact the DWP, and ask if they could possibly come up with a solution to avoid travelling. I would travel if I could, but it’s just to painful for me to be in a car or train.
Regards Jonathan

More
5 years 5 months ago #221796 by Gordon
Jonathan

Is this meeting for an assessment of your ESA award? You said the appointment had come from the DWP but they do not do the assessments, it is a company called Maximus, aka HAAS, aka CHDA.

If it is for an assessment, then the first floor may not be an option as Maximus may only leasing the second floor, although you have nothing to lose by asking.

You can only rearrange the appointment once, so make sure that it is for a venue and time that is convenient.

If the only venue available is Bristol then your only other option is a home assessment but you will need your GP to write to Maximus explaining why you cannot attend at their offices.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 5 months ago #221885 by thisandthat
Replied by thisandthat on topic ESA revised assessment
Hi Gordon,
Yes it’s a company called Atos. Of course I didn’t think of that about them leasing part of the building, maybe that’s the problem. I could ask them kindly to attend my local one again now the lift is working again, in any case, what do they do about wheelchairs? I don’t want to mess them around, I know how fickle these people can be, and they certainly do not need an excuse to mess things up. The daft thing is, that in my home town there is a PIP consultation centre and this is all on the flat throughout. I’ve been there twice for PIP assessments, and that’s run by Atos too. Any thoughts on that possibility, but obviously for ESA appointments though?
Kind Regards Jonathan.

More
5 years 5 months ago #221888 by Gordon
Jonathan

ATOS no longer do the ESA assessments, are you sure that this is who the letter is from?

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.