× Members

Assessors report ( before decision)

More
5 years 6 months ago #221921 by Dave
Hi
I went for my face to face last week and asked to see my assessors report, it arrived this morning. I have mixed feelings about it really. Its very contradictory in places ( saying I cant go to unfamiliar places alone, then scoring me as being able to. Saying I cant wash my hair myself, then not scorimg me for it, and other things) .

At the moment I get middle rate care and low rate mobility DLA.

On the one hand, if the decision maker goes with what the assessor has said, and according to me adding my points up from your guide, Ive scored 13 on daily living which is more than I hoped for, as it means enhanced, so Im pleased with that.

But on the mobility, Ive only scored 4 so get no mobility. As I cant go to unfamiliar places, and the assessor has also stated that, I feel I should have been scored for that, but instead shes put I can do this, and plan and follow a journey, which I cant? This would have awarded me enough points for enhanced mobility.

Can I ask your advice Gordon? How likely is it that decision makers follow the assessors recommendation? If the DM decides to knock 2 points off somewhere, Im down to standard . Also, if I do get what the assessors recommended, would a MR jeapordise that? Im happy if I get enhanced daily living and don't want to lose that by questioning the mobility side of it, but I do feel I shouldve got at least standard on mobility, not only due to the planning a route and unfamiliar places, but because I dont feel the assessor has taken the " reliability" factor into consideration. I have Fibromyalgia amongst my other disabilities and on bad days am not mobile at all. I don't want to risk any potential award though by asking for a MR.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #221966 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Assessors report ( before decision)
Dave

The DM usually follows the recommendation of the assessor but they are the one making the Decision so we do sometimes see them changing the points both up and down.

An MR re-makes the Decision so it is possible to lose points as well as gain them, it's rare to have what you have already scored reduced but it does happen, we see at least one member report this every 6-8 weeks.

If you are going to challenge the Decision on the Going Out activity then it is important that you understand the criteria.

The Going Out activity looks at three things.

Planning a route - this is primarily a cognitive or sensory (e.g. blindness) activity. You are being asked about the problems you would have with working out how to get from one place to another, you do not need to be able to follow the route that you are planning.

Undertaking a Journey - this is to do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria.

Following a route - This activity about the problems you would have navigating a route. So are there problems; cognitive, sensory or mental health issues that would prevent you from doing this? This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact, if you cannot undertake a journey then you will not score points for following one and vice versa.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 6 months ago #221967 by Dave
Replied by Dave on topic Assessors report ( before decision)
Thankyou Gordon.
I think, if I DO get what the assessor recommended, that I wont jeapordise that by asking for a MR. Even though I feel the scoring is wrong, I dont want to risk it.

If I call the DWP before the actual decision and say I cant navigate a route, and feel that should be looked at, thats not classed as a MR is it? Could that also jeapordise any award? I have a horrible feeling the DM is going to fimd a way to knock off 2 points to take me to standard.

More
5 years 6 months ago #221974 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Assessors report ( before decision)
Dave

Providing you make it clear that you are not requesting an MR, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Gorodn

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.