× Members

ESA Q4, Picking Up and Moving Things

More
5 years 4 months ago #223199 by UncleBuck
ESA Q4, Picking Up and Moving Things was created by UncleBuck
Can someone clarify an ESA query for me, please?

I suffer from COPD and I easily start to suffer breathless and discomfort upon exertion. I have been having my groceries delivered for quite a while, but now need to go shopping.

At the supermarket, I can lift individual items from shelves and put them into the shopping trolly, and when I get to the groceries counter, although I can move items onto the check-out counter, pack them into carrier bags and then put the bags into the shopping trolley, all this causes me breathlessness and discomfort, and I am slow at doing it because of my COPD.

Does this mean I cannot do this activity reliable, repeatedly, safely and in a timely manner, so it entitles me to scoring points for this activity?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #223229 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Q4, Picking Up and Moving Things
littletiki

There are several problems with this.

"reliable, repeatedly, safely and in a timely manner" are not terms that are specifically defined for ESA although any Decision that is made must take them into account. Some of the ESA Descriptors do make reference to them directly, for example; the distance that you can mobilise must be repeatable, however, for other Descriptors they are only implied.

Secondly, the activities you mention are spread across two ESA Activities and will be looked at individually and not in the joined-up manner you have in your post

All you can is make your arguments and see what happens but be aware you are explaining a repetitive process, albeit one that you can only do for a period of time and the Descriptors talk about doing the activity only once so you will need to explain your problems in some detail.

As an aside, going to a supermarket will make it very difficult for you to score form the Moving Around activity if you hoped to do so.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: UncleBuck

More
5 years 4 months ago #223257 by chafur47
Replied by chafur47 on topic ESA Q4, Picking Up and Moving Things
Gordon and littletiki:

Could it not be written in terms of percentage, for instance, the shopping can be done around 3% of the time? Or that the action is disjointed, must wait, catch your breath, sit, rest, before continuing? Am I correct in assuming that some claimants may be able to perform such activities, but not habitually, a few times a year, but with difficulties causing more distress and worsening?

More
5 years 4 months ago #223261 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Q4, Picking Up and Moving Things
chafur

You are going to have to explain your shopping very carefully, those assessing you will make significant assumptions as to your capabilities. As an example; the disabled parking is at least 50m from the entrance to the store at my local supermarket.

Don't forget ESA is not a walking test, it is a Mobility test! In addition to your walking, it considers your ability to self-propel a manual wheelchair over the same distances, you do not need to be using a wheelchair or even to own one for it to be considered. SO even if you can show your walking is restricted unless you can also show that you cannot self-propel the wheelchair you will still not score points.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.