× Members

ESA and Carers’ Allowance

More
5 years 4 months ago #223265 by amandajane
ESA and Carers’ Allowance was created by amandajane
TIA if anyone can help or advise :
I was awarded Contribution-based ESA in Nov 2017. After the WCA it was stopped, re-started as I appealed through MR and went to Tribunal in August 2018. I won the Tribunal (thanks to the advice on here), I was not placed in the Support Group, so my payment was stopped on 31.10.18 as I’d had 365 days and we’ve got savings over the limit. Meanwhile, my husband was awarded PiP enhanced Mobility and standard rate Daily Living on 31.08.18. When we received the award letter for his PIP, I lodged a claim for Carers’ Allowance, which was three weeks ago. I rang the Carers’ Unit and ESA who both said that I should be able to get CA, even though I’m still classed as eligible for Cont. Based ESA. I’m now worried that CA won’t be paid because of my ESA being Cont. Based. I asked ESA if I could sign off, but they told me I didn’t need to.
Can anyone advise ? Thanks for reading.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #223267 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and Carers’ Allowance
amandajane

Carers Allowance is an overlapping benefit with Contribution Based ESA, this means that only the benefit that pays the most will actually be paid. Normally a claimant's ESA(CB) is the higher amount and the CA is not paid but as your ESA(CB) is not in payment at the moment then the CA will actually be paid.

if at any time you are moved to the Support Group then the situation would be reversed and it will be your ESA(CB) that is paid and not the CA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: amandajane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.