× Members

ESA Change in Circumstances - Carer's Premium

More
5 years 4 months ago #223566 by Ditzee
ESA Change in Circumstances was created by Ditzee
Could someone kindly clarify what my ESA payment is now to be made up of? I was on ESA IR for a number of years,, living alone and in the Support Group. My estranged husband moved in with me in September 2018 and he was/is in ESA Support Group but was sadly diagnosed terminally ill that month. Due to his advanced cancer diagnosis of 6 months he was fast-tracked onto PIP which he now receives. I contacted DWP in September with change in circumstances and today received a letter which in itself is confusing and I telephone DWP only for the adviser to contradict herself 3 times during the conversation so I do not know if I am to receive any payments, just NIC or if I will be paid and is it CB or IR ESA?

I was receiving £127.15 - composed of £73.10 basic, £16.40 Disability Guarantee and £37.65 as in Support Group. Letter today states I was on £127.15 at 10/4/18 and from the 11/9/18 (date my husband moved in) my ESA will be £110.75. It goes on to say I am NOT getting any more income related ESA. Page 4 of the letter states current rates which includes all 3 elements which total £127.15 and that this amount applies from 10/4/18 to 10/9/18. No income will be taken off my ESA. My income related amount is £127.15 less total income of £0.00! I have no ideal if I will be receiving any income at all other than NIC. If I will receive £127.15 or £110.75. The DWP adviser said £127.15 then changed her mind to £110,75. Told me it was CB based but I still qualified for free prescriptions and dental work?? Is this because my husband is receiving ESA - he was migrated from IB to ESA years ago? I would really appreciate some clarification on this - the DWP letters seem a nonsense
TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #223580 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Change in Circumstances
Ditzee

If your husband is receiving ESA(CB) himself then this will be treated as income in regard to any ESA(IR) That you might be eligible for, based on your post the amount of his ESA(CB) is greater than the amount of ESA(IR) that you are entitled to so it is no longer payable and you are now only receiving ESA(CB) (£110.75).

As you are not receiving ESA(IR) any more then you are not entitled to free prescriptions, dental care, etc. any more, although you may still be able to qualify due to low income, see

www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 4 months ago #223634 by Ditzee
Replied by Ditzee on topic ESA Change in Circumstances
Thank you Gordon. Would I be eligible for a carer's premium or carer's allowance payment of some sort as I am caring for him in the home 24 hours a day? Would this change my ESA from CB to IR?

More
5 years 4 months ago #223649 by Ditzee
Replied by Ditzee on topic ESA Change in Circumstances
]Can I ask what you mean by low income Gordon - I have already declared to DWP we have no assets, no savings, I only receive ESA - as I have said my husband receives PIP at both higher rates, ESA and IIDB. If I was to try to apply for Carers Premium would it be in our interest or would it simply be deducted from my ESA or my husband's ESA? Apologies if I have repeated myself from another post!

More
5 years 4 months ago #223694 by Gordon

Ditzee wrote: Thank you Gordon. Would I be eligible for a carer's premium or carer's allowance payment of some sort as I am caring for him in the home 24 hours a day? Would this change my ESA from CB to IR?

I think it unlikely but try putting your information into one of the online benefit calculators

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 4 months ago #223695 by Gordon

Ditzee wrote: Can I ask what you mean by low income Gordon

The NHS link I posted explains what they mean by low income.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ditzee

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.