× Members

Should I continue with ESA Appeal

More
5 years 3 months ago #224230 by Amanda Jenkins
Should I continue with ESA Appeal was created by Amanda Jenkins
My son, 24, has autism and learning disability. He was in ESA support group, until a recent health assessment where he scored 15 points (for coping with social situations) but zero points in all other areas and was moved to WRAG. He needed me to take him and stay with him during the assessment and I answered 95% of the questions (as he wouldn't even make eye contact and was clearly uncomfortable). My concern is that he currently does 3 hours of voluntary work a week, although is buddied with someone. After 8 months of travel training he is able to use one bus route independently, although he will text me once he is at the bus stop, once he is on the bus and when he arrives. He is unable to deviate from his current route and will not use it during school holidays, as it is too noisy. All other times he leaves home he is accompanied by an adult. I need to prompt him with his daily living skills and help organise his day. I am told that being in the WRAG may mean he has to go and see a Job Coach at JobCentrePlus every six months. My son would be unable to get there independently and would certainly not go in unless an adult was with him. This is my concern. His anxiety and difficulties coping socially (even with those familiar to him) impact completely upon his day. He needs so much support, but as he already does some voluntary work is there any point continuing with our Appeal. Mandatory reconsideration was turned down. Any advice would be very welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #224240 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Should I continue with ESA Appeal
Amanda

Two things;

There is no guarantee that he will have to attend the WRAG every six months, it could be weekly or he may be required to attend training and his benefit will be sanctioned if he fails to comply.

Secondly, if you do appeal then you will need to show that he meets one of the ESA Descriptors that leads to a Support Group award, can you do this? My guess is that his travelling alone on the bus has been one of the reasons that his previous SG award was lost.

See our ESA Claim guides for details of the criteria he needs to meet.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.