× Members

Maybe not quite in topic but interesting and usefu

More
5 years 3 months ago #224253 by Carper
Maybe not quite in topic but interesting and useful all the same.

My wifes and my doctors surgery phoned us 4 times in 3 days to inform us they will not be allowing certain prescriptions and in future we should buy them over the counter.

I remember reading somewhere about patients with long term illnesses not being included in this new regulation being dished out by many doctors surgeries and so after about 3 hours of chasing my tail and being fobbed off by the NHS and others I manage to get in touch with the department that know what they are talking about.

The Clinical Commission and their Medicines Management Team or something like that.

They sent me the link with what I was looking for and I offer you the link and also the piece of information that will be of interest to many of your members and especially those with long term illnesses.

www.bromleyccg.nhs.uk/over-the-counter-prescribing.htm

The bit you will find most interesting is that called "What General Exclusions Apply"

Medicines that can only be obtained with an NHS prescription - Prescription Only Medicines (POM)
Where an OTC medicine is outside of its marketing authorisation, also known as “off-label use” or “unlicensed use”. For example when it is not licensed for use during pregnancy or where age or existing medical condition restrictions apply
Where an OTC medicine is being prescribed for a long-term (chronic) condition e.g. regular analgesia in osteoarthritis
Frail or housebound patients
Where there are possible safeguarding concerns including, but not limited to, children, where there might be concerns that treatment might otherwise not be provided.

Dont let them win.

Carper.

Basically if you are suffering a long term illness and or are just frail you should get all prescriptiopns for free.

I gave the information above to my Medical Practice and our formally not allowed porescriptions are back on track.
The following user(s) said Thank You: geordie52

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #224272 by maria
So are you saying everyone regardless of income should receive free prescriptions if they have a long term condition. For years i have been paying for my prescriptions with monthly prepayments.

More
5 years 3 months ago #224285 by Carper
Hi Maria, I'm only putting up the official rules or recommendations and I'm afraid these are not based on being means tested so I presume multi millionaires with a chronic illness or frail or house bound and more are entitled to free prescriptions.

More
5 years 3 months ago #224300 by maria
This link takes you to Bromley CCG so does this only apply in Bromley or all England CCGs?

More
5 years 3 months ago #224442 by Carper
As I understand it it covers England and don’t know how it affects the rest of Great Britain

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.