× Members

PIP change in circumstances

More
5 years 3 months ago #224370 by Feelinghopeless
PIP change in circumstances was created by Feelinghopeless
Hi, my stepdaughter is on PIP mobility with rheumatoid arthritis. When she applied she was working less than15 hours at a supermarket. Her arthritis has deteriorated and she has not worked since July 2018 and is currently on half pay with a view to the company taking out capability proceedings and her having to leave. Citizens advice said to wait for her SP1 before contacting PIP but my query is should we contact them now since she is on half pay and struggling to make ends meet? She is 24 and lives with her brother who is working. Also in September last year she was diagnosed with autism. How do we make a separate claim for that?

Also can she claim ESA while still being employed by a supermarket even though she on half pay. She lives in Chester and they are introducing universal credit in stages. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #224378 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP change in circumstances
mad cow

PIP is not an in work benefit, so there is no specific reason for your stepdaughter to contact them about her being unable to work, if she does then it is extremely likely that her claim will be reassessed.

If she is still receiving SSP then she cannot make a claim for ESA or UC, however, once this ends then she can make a claim. If she has received at least 50 weeks of NI Contributions in the two Tax Years 2016-17 and 2017-18 then she can claim New Style ESA, if she does not then she can claim Universal Credit.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by a new claim for her Autism?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #224407 by Feelinghopeless
Replied by Feelinghopeless on topic PIP change in circumstances
Thanks Gordon, she is only claiming PIP on physical grounds only for her rheumatoid arthritis. Since her award for this she has been undergoing assessment of her learning needs and has been diagnosed with autism. The disability advice centre said she should make a separate claim for her mental needs which were not known when she was awarded PIP for her arthritis. I just want to know if she can make a pip claim for her new condition. Thanks

More
5 years 3 months ago #224416 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP change in circumstances
mad cow

Whilst the diagnosis is obviously new the effects of her Autism are not so I think you will struggle to show that the last assessment did not take account of her mental health issues even if you did not document them and you won't be able to show a deterioration.

You can't make a new claim if she already has an award, all you can do is ask for hew claim to be reassessed but this will be a full reassessment and the resulting Decision will supersede her current award, whatever it might be.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feelinghopeless

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.