× Members

new-style esa eligibility -based on Carer's Credit

More
5 years 3 months ago #224912 by yello1234
I would appreciate some advice on my eligibility for new-style esa. I can straight away state I cannot claim Income-related (or UC as it is now), due to Husband's Pension income.
I was in receipt of Carer's Allowance and the linked Carer's NI Credits for Tax Years 15-16, 16-17 and a few months of tax year 17-18 until I ended my claim for Carer's Allowance. I do not work and have not done so for a long time but I did work for several years for a major employer in a full time job in the 1980s and must have paid NI contributions when doing so.

I specifically wish to ask about eligibility having been in receipt of Carer's Credits as there is so much conflicting information on other sites regarding: esa Regulation 8 and the Relaxation of the first contribution condition because I was claiming Carer's Allowance. I wish to claim new-style esa and would be able to get a Sick Note backdated to December as I saw my GP regarding my mental health then. I assume this means the relevant Tax Years for Contributions would be 15-16 and 16-17 (as these are the two complete tax years preceding the Benefit Year in which the Limited Capability for work started) where I have a full set of NI credits for both tax years.

However, I have also read a vague statement that you need to have actually paid 1 year of National Insurance through working at some point as well. Is this true? If so, I assume my working in the 1980s would cover this.

Another vague statement that I need to clarify is that you need to have been entitled to Carer's Allowance during the most recent complete tax year. (I presume they mean 17-18) It did not state a specific time period e.g. 50 weeks, that means you needed to be in receipt for that tax year. I was entitled for a few months of 17-18 tax year, so I wanted to know if that would be sufficient, if this statement is correct.

Finally, another statement was that you only need to have been entitled for one week of each tax year, so would I need to bother with backdating the sick note when I go to see my GP or would it be fine to just start now from this benefits year where the relevant tax years would be 16-17, and 17-18 - and I only have a partial record of contributions for 17-18 tax year.

Apologies for the length of this but there is little guidance elsewhere on eligibility for this based on Carer's Allowance NI credit and the relaxation of the first contribution. I ultimately want to know any responses to the vague statements I discussed and if there is any truth in them, and, based on my information, would I be entitled to make a claim new style esa? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #224957 by Gordon
yello

The Regulation which allows Carers Allowance to be used to meet the First Contribution Condition is also in the legislation for New Style ESA, it's actually Regulation 9.

Providing you have at some time during your working life received Ni Contributions then you should be entitled.

You will need to backdate the claim into last year as the Tax Years have now changed.

Be aware, this is a little-used Regulation and we have seen other members struggling to get the DWP to recognise that they can make a claim so you will need to be persistent and point them to the legislation.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Theresa STEVENS

More
5 years 3 months ago #224960 by yello1234
Hello,

Thank you very much for your clarification. I understand now. I will of course draw their attention to the necessary legislation if they require a push!

Regards

More
5 years 3 months ago #224963 by sue2007rec
As Gordon mentioned reg 9 is rarely used, this information you will know but here goes anyway
From what you’ve said, you should meet the NI conditions for contributory ESA given the length your allowance claim and linking NI Credits

This is from an online Carer’s UK factsheet –
“Contributory ESA is a claim just for you (even if you have a partner) and is based on your national insurance (NI) contribution record. Your or any partner’s income and capital will not affect the claim, except if you have an occupational or private pension of over £85 a week or a councillor’s allowance of over £40 a week.

It has two contribution conditions:

The first condition is that you must have paid, or be treated as having paid, at least 26 weeks of Class 1 or Class 2 NI contributions on earnings at the lower earnings limit in one of the last two complete tax years before the start of the relevant benefit year. However an exception to this rule for contributory ESA is that if you were entitled to Carer’s Allowance for at least one week in the last complete tax year before the start of the relevant benefit year, you will satisfy the first contribution condition if you have paid, or can be treated as having paid, sufficient NI contributions in any complete tax year.

The second condition is that you must have paid or been credited with Class 1 or Class 2 NI contributions on earnings 50 times the lower earnings limit in each of the last two complete tax years before the start of the relevant benefit year.

Note: A ‘tax year’ runs from 6th April to 5th April the following year. A ‘benefit year’ starts on the first Sunday in January and ends on the Saturday before the first Sunday in January the following year.”

Here is the link to the factsheet - www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financi...working-age-benefits

.“Protecting your National Insurance (NI) record
Your NI record is a summary of the NI contributions paid through work, or credits awarded when you are unable to work. It is used to work out your entitlement to some state benefits, eg State Pension.

For each week that you receive Carer’s Allowance you get a Class 1 NI credit to help protect your record. If you are unable to claim Carer’s Allowance then you may be able to claim Carer’s Credit to protect your record.

Carer’s Credit is a way of protecting pension rights for people who are caring for someone but are not paying NI contributions through paid work and are unable to claim Carer’s Allowance. You do not get paid any money if you claim Carer's Credit, but you get a NI contribution credit to help protect your record.

To claim Carer’s Credit you need to be looking after someone for a total of 20 hours or more a week. The person you are looking after must normally be getting one of the following:

the middle or the higher rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (at either rate)
Attendance Allowance (at either rate) or Constant Attendance Allowance
Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

If the person you’re caring for doesn’t get one of these benefits, you may still be able to get Carer’s Credit. When you apply, fill in the Care Certificate part of the application form and get a health or social care professional to sign it.

Carer’s Credit can also help with breaks in your caring role. You can claim Carer’s Credit for any week within 12 weeks before the date you become entitled to Carer’s Allowance or following the week you stop being entitled to Carer’s Allowance. This is without meeting the 20 hour condition. This means you could have a break in caring for up to 12 weeks without losing your NI contribution credit.

Example

Sue cares for her brother Alfred. Alfred receives Attendance Allowance and Sue claims Carer’s Allowance for looking after him. Alfred goes into hospital and his Attendance Allowance stops after 28 days. This means that Sue’s Carer’s Allowance will also stop after 28 days. Sue can claim Carer’s Credit for up to 12 weeks after her Carer’s Allowance stops.

To claim Carer’s Credit you need to apply to the Carer’s Allowance Unit (England, Wales and Scotland) …”

See Carers UK Carers Allowance Factsheet - www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financi...its/carers-allowance

Carers UK do have a helpline that might help on this and on practical steps to take

More
5 years 3 months ago #224974 by Gordon

yello1234 wrote: Hello,

Thank you very much for your clarification. I understand now. I will of course draw their attention to the necessary legislation if they require a push!

Regards

Just to be clear as your post refers to Care's Credit, the relaxation of the First Condition is for Carers Allowance only, not Carers Credit.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #224990 by yello1234
Thank you both for this excellent clarification. To be clear, I was in receipt of Carer's Allowance (so there is no issue) - I just referred to Carer's Credit within the context of NI.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.