× Members

Carers allowance and esa

More
5 years 3 months ago #225372 by lild
Carers allowance and esa was created by lild
Hi Can you help, myself and oh are on ESA support group, someone advised to put in for carers for each other (as we do have to care ) something to do with an entitlement, the care allowance we won't get. As were on ESA.? But to put in for it anyway.
Oh is retirement may this yr
Sorry if this doesn't make sense or could you help thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #225399 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Carers allowance and esa
lild

You can't claim Carers Allowance against ESA so do you both have a DLA MRC or HRC or a PIP Daily Living award?

If you are receiving only ESA(CB) then the CA won't be paid, if this is the case then I'm not sure what the benefit of claiming will be.

If one of you receives Income Related ESA, either in full or as a top-up to your ESA(CB) then the Carers Premium would be payable.

If you are entitled to ESA(IR) then your oh should look at claiming Pension Credit, I believe that a claim can be made three months in advance of them reaching State Retirement Age. There is some urgency to this as the rules change in May and they may not be able to make the claim after they do.

If necessary, get face to face advice.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: lild

More
5 years 3 months ago #225437 by lild
Replied by lild on topic Carers allowance and esa
We're both on ESA contribution based, not on income related anything. Oh is retirement age beginning of may.
I looked for information, if I've understood this.
We are both on PIP daily living and mobility
He can put in for pension credit in may, if we put in for carers allowance, (won't get as on esa) but would get an underlying entitlement for pension credit

Is what I read correct and when would we need to do carers forms.
Thanks

More
5 years 3 months ago #225439 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Carers allowance and esa
lild

You need to check your eligibility for an Income Related benefit such as ESA(IR) or Pension Credit.

If you are not eligible then I'm not sure what the advantage of your claiming Carers Allowance is, you won't receive a payment due to your ESA and when your husband retires, his State Pension, you are already receiving NI Credits as part of your ESA and the entitlement does not passport any other benefits.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #225449 by lild
Replied by lild on topic Carers allowance and esa
Thanks Gordon I will look into it

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.